Vaccinations

Doug B
Posted
Posted

I'm 6 months away from my first trip to the Philippines and wondering what, if any vaccinations are required before I go. I'm going to be in the province/rural area of Mindanao for about 4 months after I've stayed in Baguio and Boracay. I've spoken to my doctor and he's yet to get back to me on what he thinks I'll need in the way of shots. What vaccinaions did you guy's have, or did you not have any? Thanks

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

My first trip I had the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, the diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine and Hepatitis A.

I didn't get the measles vaccine or the chicken pox vaccine because I'd had both when I was a child but if you haven't (or maybe even if you have?) those should be considered (NB the MMR includes it but I was only after MR).

Hepatitis B and Rabies... some people suggest those but Hepatitis B takes 2 shots several  months apart and Rabies takes 3 so I didn't get them.

I probably should think about those 2 though... 

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Just your childhood ones up to date plus typhoid. I've had Hep A and Hep B for luck. Hep B is good if you think you might need some blood.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I had my shots last year, the surgery directed me to a nurse,  she gave me typhoid and hepatitis A , apparently the hepatitis B vaccine was in short supply.

I might go for rabies shots in the near future , but your local surgery will advise on what you need

I was very brave , I did not cry 

What part of mindanao are you going to , some parts can have malaria,  remember to wear long trousers and long sleeves at night , I also use Avon skin so soft , when I wear shorts I slap on coconut smelling suntan lotion,  theres a little fly that keeps biting my legs if I dont put that on 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think another one I'd go for if/when available would be dengue. It's getting widespread in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Doug B
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I had my shots last year, the surgery directed me to a nurse,  she gave me typhoid and hepatitis A , apparently the hepatitis B vaccine was in short supply.

I might go for rabies shots in the near future , but your local surgery will advise on what you need

What part of mindanao are you going to , some parts can have malaria,  remember to wear long trousers and long sleeves at night , I also use Avon skin so soft , when I wear shorts I slap on coconut smelling suntan lotion,  theres a little fly that keeps biting my legs if I dont put that on 

Im going to the region 12 area, near Isulan, I've got some good quality mosquito repellant, but I'll certainly wear long trosers and long shirt sleeves, my gf recommends that i do, plus ill only be having bottled water. Dengue looks like a problem so I'll ask my doctor about that. thanks

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 2

Doug B
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, GeoffH said:

My first trip I had the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, the diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine and Hepatitis A.

I didn't get the measles vaccine or the chicken pox vaccine because I'd had both when I was a child but if you haven't (or maybe even if you have?) those should be considered.

Hepatitis B and Rabies... some people suggest those but Hepatitis B takes 2 shots several  months apart and Rabies takes 3 so I didn't get them.

I probably should think about those 2 though... 

Thanks Geoff, I'll run that past my doctor and see what he recommends

Doug B
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think another one I'd go for if/when available would be dengue. It's getting widespread in the Philippines.

Yes, I think thats the one thing that I heard that I definetely need to address, thanks Gary

Doug B
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Im going to the region 12 area, near Isulan, I've got some good quality mosquito repellant, but I'll certainly wear long trosers and long shirt sleeves, my gf recommends that i do, plus ill only be having bottled water. Dengue looks like a problem so I'll ask my doctor about that. thanks

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I read earlier today that the Philippines DOH has said that this year is expected to bad for dengue 

• Like 2