Vaccinations

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Doug B said:

Im going to the region 12 area, near Isulan, 

Id keep a watch on the news regarding that area , there was a report of terrorists activity there a few days ago , bombing from memory 

• Like 2

Doug B
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I read earlier today that the Philippines DOH has said that this year is expected to bad for dengue 

Yep, I'm going to prepare for that, thanks

Doug B
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Id keep a watch on the news regarding that area , there was a report of terrorists activity there a few days ago , bombing from memory 

I heard it was some nutter trying extortion by threatening to blow up the premises, they got him on cctv, someone even told the guy he'd left his bag behind, people are very vigilant now I think. I'll be in a Barangay not too far from there, I know a lot of people already, friends and family and neighbours, all through fb over 2 years now. I'm actually more nervous about visiting my mother soon in London!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

There was a trial for a dengue vaccine but it caused problems and I beleive withdrawn again.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

There was a trial for a dengue vaccine but it caused problems and I beleive withdrawn again.

That is the same as I have read. Apparently, the vaccine they used was meant for people who had already had Denge.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

That is the same as I have read. Apparently, the vaccine they used was meant for people who had already had Denge.

My understanding was that it was the other way around and there were complications like mild death with people that had already had dengue. Anyway the Philippines stopped giving it.

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, Doug B said:

I'm 6 months away from my first trip to the Philippines and wondering what, if any vaccinations are required before I go. I'm going to be in the province/rural area of Mindanao for about 4 months after I've stayed in Baguio and Boracay. I've spoken to my doctor and he's yet to get back to me on what he thinks I'll need in the way of shots. What vaccinaions did you guy's have, or did you not have any? Thanks

Doug, I went to a Filipino doctor because a lot of the shots recommended were not necessary, but saying that, make sure you get the Rabies shot and the DPT shot, Diphtheria, phenomonia, and tetanus. Plenty of time to get the Rabies shots, but a must in Province area's, also take a wheelbarrow of money with you, they are not cheap here in Australia.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have experience from taking these vaccinations in Philippines?  Some of them are really expensive in Europe and if moving to Ph maybe you could save some cash by doing it  when you arrive??

Question is if it is cheaper to do it in PH? 

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The rabies shots can be taken after the event although in a timely fashion. I've never bothered. Another one that could be good is the TB shot, assuming you didn't get the shot in childhood. That's another one that can be dangerous to have a second shot so be certian that you haven't already been given it.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Personally, I can't answer that, but you have to weigh the odds up, spend a little to be safe or penny pinch and hope you don't ever need the use of the vaccine, i know what I did and I can take on any of the nastiest the PI can chuck at me. :thumbsup: