Can A Former Philippine Citizen, The Spouse And The Unmarried Minor Children Apply For An Immigrant Visa?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Yes, provided that the applicants comply with these requirements: passport valid for at least six months, three original and two copies of the application form and 2" x 2" pictures, original and two copies of any documentary evidence of Philippine citizenship, original and two copies of the medical examination report duly accomplished by physician, original and two copies of police clearance, original and two copies of evidence of sound financial status or notarized affidavit of support and supporting documents of a relative in the Philippines. The applicant may have to submit other documents as may be required by the visa officer. Before any visa is issued, the applicant must be interviewed. All schedules for interview must be coursed through the visa section. Fee is $150.00 per applicant.Link to more info

Mik
Posted
Posted

A former Philippine citizen should just get their dual-citizenship. It's easier to get at the Phil consulate while you're still in your foreign country. With dual-citizenship there is no need for any visa ever.http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/dualcitizenship.htm.

• 2 months later...
aio
Posted
Posted
A former Philippine citizen should just get their dual-citizenship. It's easier to get at the Phil consulate while you're still in your foreign country. With dual-citizenship there is no need for any visa ever.http://www.philippin...citizenship.htm.
what are the pros and cons of dual citzenship besides no visa ever? how about being taxed on income, land, house, etc...?

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
what are the pros and cons of dual citzenship besides no visa ever? how about being taxed on income, land, house, etc...?
I don't think there are any current cons. You are not taxed on your foreign income and assets. Any local income and property is taxed regardless of citizenship.The only con is as I stated "current" --- things could change which is what most who I've talked to about this option and have not done it fear. They could decide to change the rules and involve things not currently touched.

aio
Posted
Posted

CHAPTER II - GENERAL PRINCIPLES

SEC. 23. General Principles of Income Taxation in the Philippines. - Except when otherwise provided in this Code: (A) A citizen of the Philippines residing therein is taxable on all income derived from sources within and without the Philippines; (B) A nonresident citizen is taxable only on income derived from sources within the Philippines;

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
A former Philippine citizen should just get their dual-citizenship. It's easier to get at the Phil consulate while you're still in your foreign country. With dual-citizenship there is no need for any visa ever.http://www.philippin...citizenship.htmwhat are the pros and cons of dual citzenship besides no visa ever? how about being taxed on income, land, house, etc...?
Here's probably the biggest "CON" and I think it's missing and wasn't mentioned on the link you used and I know I read it somewhere, concerning about if you have Dual Citizenship, you waive your U.S. rights when you are under the Philippine Constitution and their local laws, because since you are now a Filipino citizen and entered the Philippines using your Philippine passport, you are bound by and fall under the jurisdiction of the Philippine local laws and that the U.S. government can no longer help, assist or intervene on your behalf if you break any laws in the Philippines and are incarcerate in a Filipino jail! Are you willing to give up your U.S. rights? That's what you are doing when you have dual citizenship! Something to ponder about huh? Just think if you were faultlessly accused of a crime in the Philippines, because some one didn't like you and just wanted to make life difficult for you? They will throw you in jail and ask questions later while you're already behind bars! And the U.S. government can not intervene or help you in any way!This topic is under "Laws and Regulations for Foreigners"! Think about it, you are no longer a "foreigner", now that you are a "Filipino citizen"!And further more, once you have been convicted of a crime and you are incarcerated, the U.S. Government can and will suspend any U.S. Government pensions that you may have and hold it until your release from prison! Isn't that just a wonderful thought? And here's the final kicker of them all! What if there is a revolution in this country, do you know where you just put yourself in on the priority list of evacuees? None, because you are now a Filipino citizen on Filipino soil and can be involuntarily recruited to defend and protect the sovereignty and constitution of the Philippines from all domestic and foreign aggression, because remember, you swore an "oath of allegiance" stating so when you applied for Dual Citizenship! Am I right or wrong? Can anyone confirm what I have just written here? I just forgot where I read this piece of information from, because I'm not making all this up! It's for real! Correct me if I'm wrong! SugarwareZ-002.gif Edited by Art & Jho

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
A former Philippine citizen should just get their dual-citizenship. It's easier to get at the Phil consulate while you're still in your foreign country. With dual-citizenship there is no need for any visa ever.http://www.philippin...citizenship.htmwhat are the pros and cons of dual citzenship besides no visa ever? how about being taxed on income, land, house, etc...?
Here's probably the biggest "con" and I think it's missing and wasn't mentioned on the link you used and I know I read it somewhere, concerning about if you have Dual Citizenship, you waive your U.S. rights when you are under the Philippine Constitution and their local laws, because since you are now a Filipino citizen and entered the Philippines using your Philippine passport, you are bound by and fall under the jurisdiction of the Philippine local laws and that the U.S. government can no longer help, assist or intervene on your behalf if you break any laws in the Philippines and are incarcerate in a Filipino jail! Are you willing to give up your U.S. rights? That's what you are doing when you have dual citizenship! Something to ponder about huh? Just think if you were faultlessly accused of a crime in the Philippines, because some one didn't like you and just wanted to make life difficult for you? They will throw you in jail and ask questions later while you're already behind bars! And the U.S. government can not intervene or help you in any way!
My wife just obtained her Philippines passport recently here in the Philippines. Although she had obtained her dual citizenship before we left in the US, she did not have her Philippines passport when entering the Philippines when we moved in July, 2009. She entered with her US passport and a Balibiyan visa. Do you think this applies to her? My son born before my wife was a US Citizen is both a full Filipino and American citizen by birth. When entering the Philippines in July, both his US and Philippine passports were presented and stamped. Is he entitled to US protection? Of couse he is a child below the age of conscent. These are complex issues. I wonder if there is a way to make these inquiries with the US state department.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Here's probably the biggest "con" and I think it's missing and wasn't mentioned on the link you used and I know I read it somewhere, concerning about if you have Dual Citizenship, you waive your U.S. rights when you are under the Philippine Constitution and their local laws, because since you are now a Filipino citizen and entered the Philippines using your Philippine passport, you are bound by and fall under the jurisdiction of the Philippine local laws and that the U.S. government can no longer help, assist or intervene on your behalf if you break any laws in the Philippines and are incarcerate in a Filipino jail! Are you willing to give up your U.S. rights? That's what you are doing when you have dual citizenship! Something to ponder about huh? Just think if you were faultlessly accused of a crime in the Philippines, because some one didn't like you and just wanted to make life difficult for you? They will throw you in jail and ask questions later while you're already behind bars! And the U.S. government can not intervene or help you in any way!
My wife just obtained her Philippines passport recently here in the Philippines. Although she had obtained her dual citizenship before we left in the US, she did not have her Philippines passport when entering the Philippines when we moved in July, 2009. She entered with her US passport and a Balibiyan visa. Do you think this applies to her? My son born before my wife was a US Citizen is both a full Filipino and American citizen by birth. When entering the Philippines in July, both his US and Philippine passports were presented and stamped. Is he entitled to US protection? Of couse he is a child below the age of conscent. These are complex issues. I wonder if there is a way to make these inquiries with the US state department.
Gold Heart,Here's what it says in the FAQs section under item#7 paragraph 1 & 2 at this link: http://www.philippin...citizenship.htmWhat are the duties and obligations of Filipinos who re-acquire Philippine citizenship?A person who re-acquires Filipino citizenship has, among others, the following duties and obligations:
  1. 1. To pay taxes on income earned in the Philippines.
  2. 2. “Support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and legal orders promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines…,recognize and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines and maintain true faith and allegiance.“.
  3. You swore an Oath of Allegiance under RA 9225, so you have no protection under the U.S. Civil Rights or U.S. Constitution! Basically, you waived your U.S. rights, because you are on Philippine soil and are now a Filipino according to your Philippine passport!

Edited by Art & Jho

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)
Gold Heart,Here's what it says in the FAQs section under item#7 paragraph 1 & 2 at this link: http://www.philippin...citizenship.htmWhat are the duties and obligations of Filipinos who re-acquire Philippine citizenship?A person who re-acquires Filipino citizenship has, among others, the following duties and obligations:
  1. 1. To pay taxes on income earned in the Philippines.
  2. 2. "Support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and legal orders promulgated by the duly constitutedauthorities of the Philippines
Edited by Gold Heart

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)

In my research, I've found a really good site with some very handy recommendations for those with dual citizenship that I will work to adopt. (safety measures on Question 11)http://www.richw.org...html#moveabroadHere is said of the only disadvantages of dual citizenshpAre there any disadvantages to dual US/other citizenship? Aside from the possibility that one or the other country might decide to impose distasteful restrictions on you because they consider you to be one of their citizens, there are at least two issues that you might (or might not) see as causes for concern.

• If your line of work requires you to have a security clearance for accessing classified US government information, you may very possibly find that actively acquiring or retaining a foreign citizenship may cause you to be refused clearance (or may cause a clearance you already have to be revoked). If this might affect you, you would be well advised to consult with a knowledgeable lawyer.
  • If you are seriously planning to seek a political office in the US -- especially in the federal government -- it is extremely possible that having a second citizenship may be a serious liability. Your opponent will almost certainly be sorely tempted to (mis)represent your status for his/her own political gain -- questioning your loyalty to the US and your suitability for office -- and any efforts on your part to explain or justify your situation are likely to fall on deaf ears. This is less likely to be an issue if you are running for a state or local office.

Since my wife has none of these interests, I'm still searching for any disadvantages. There are risks that things might change. The free entry and stay in both countries, the ability to use whatever passport offers the best advantage, along with the ability to vote in both is a great benefit.

Edited by Gold Heart