Can A Former Philippine Citizen, The Spouse And The Unmarried Minor Children Apply For An Immigrant Visa?

UZI
Posted
Posted
you waive your U.S. rights when you are under the Philippine Constitution and their local lawsthe above stated by art hits the nail on the head when in a foreign country you must follow the local laws and it does not matter which country you come from or your citizenship .the saying goes when in Rome if you chose is break the laws here the best you would get from your home country is a list of lawyers who could speak your language.
Stef, I totally agree. The only thing that I was working to resolve is whether there is any loss when you are a dual. The advantages of dual are direct - free entry and exit, voting rights, etc. The disadvantages I've found are if you intend to run for office or gain security clearance in a US job, along with the risk that something might change.I think what some have pointed out is the risk is not unique to dual, all visa forms 13G, 13A, Balibyan, etc all have risks.What I have found is your conclusions is the same regarless of visa, immigration status, dual or otherwise. When in Rome applies to universally to all.
Gold Heart, Stef,This is from a Yahoo Group post:
About a year ago, I sent an email to the US Embassy in Manila to ask what would happen to my US Citizenship if I became a Naturalized Filipino, since my wife is a Philippine Citizen. The reply I received essentially said that while the Philippine Government would expect me to disavow allegiance to the USA, in fact the US Government would still consider me a US Citizen as well unless I went into the US Embassy and signed a document declaring that I no longer wanted my citizenship. In other words, I could still draw Social Security, am still viewed by Washington as a US Citizen, and am still expected to file a tax return on April 15; whatever else the Philippine Government may consider me is frankly irrelevant. Manila may consider me as a Philippine Citizen ONLY, but Washington DC would consider me a dual-citizen
And Stef, for the Brits:
If you become a national of another country You will not normally lose your British nationality if you become a citizen or national of another country.Giving up nationality This page will help you decide whether you can give up (renounce) your British citizenship <snip> and explains how to do it.We call giving up your citizenship renouncing. If you successfully give up your British citizenship, <snip> you will receive a declaration of renunciation. Applications in this category are made using application form RN. Before you make your application to give up your citizenship you should read guide RN - declaration of renunciation of British citizenship, This guide provides full details of the requirements you need to meet and how to complete the application form.www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk
So, whether American or British, it isn't so easy to lose your Citizenship even if you declare allegiance to the RP. As for any substantive help from the respective Embassies...well we know the answer to that don't we.

softail
Posted
Posted

This is really interesting reading. My wife has a decision to make regarding citizenship and has been leaning toward duel citizenship. Great thread.Doug and Sallyth_thanx.gif