How to obtain British Citizenship for a Baby.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

The way I'd look at it is you can get a passport relatively easy just now.  Things will only get harder and prices increase.  Make the most of your down time and sort it.  I've a friend who did it 9yrs ago and it took a couple of months another friend has been going through the process now and it's taken almost one year so far. 

I actually made a conscious decision to hold off until closer to my son's 16th birthday so I didn't have to renew unnecessarily to avoid both cost and hassle of renewing.

That said, i'd agree that if someone has the time to do it they should do so - I just don't at the moment and see no pressing reason to do it now.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Do it now.

What if something happens to you ? Much easier to do it now... and before any rules change, to the child's disadvantage. 

Who will find it easier to complete the forms... get a countersigned photo, etc... you,  or the child's mother ?

The cost when I applied for my son's passport back in 2016, was only. £110.

It costs about £500 by the way, just to register a birth at the British Embassy now. ... and you'll need more or less the same documents as you would to apply for a passport for a child 'born overseas'... (which of course then bestows British Citizenship also), so it's pretty much a no-brainer .

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, graham59 said:

Do it now.

What if something happens to you ? Much easier to do it now... and before any rules change, to the child's disadvantage. 

Who will find it easier to complete the forms... get a countersigned photo, etc... you,  or the child's mother ?

The cost when I applied for my son's passport back in 2016, was only. £110.

It costs about £500 by the way, just to register a birth at the British Embassy now. ... and you'll need more or less the same documents as you would to apply for a passport for a child 'born overseas'... (which of course then bestows British Citizenship also), so it's pretty much a no-brainer .

I'm not so hung up on him getting his British Citizenship t.b.h.

I'll get around to it - I have to renew mine in 2021, I'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone and do it then. :smile:

Edited by hk blues

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 10:06 PM, Eddie1 said:

Just after some info from members here, probably best suited to British members that have become a parent since visiting/moving here.  I became a dad 7 weeks ago,  58 and a daddy for the first time, lol.  What are the things that I should be doing?  i.e. regarding obtaining British Citizenship for the baby or anything else formal that I should be doing ? 

i.jpg

d.jpg

Eddie, not sure if you need this.  Perhaps you and your wife have it handled already.

1.  Get a copy of the birth records from the hospital.  You might never need it but it is free or almost free.  Usually takes some time before it is ready.  Ask.  Don't wait too long or it will take longer for them to find.

2.  Get the NSO / PSA Birth Cert.  At our PSA office, special waiting office with no line if you take the baby.  Get a lot of copies so you don't have to go back often.  Usually ready in 30-60 days after birth??  Don't quote me on that.  If you need other PSA docs, get them while you can take advantage of the "no waiting with baby".

3.  Get the Philippines passport.  Your baby is a tourist for Int'l travel purposes until you get it.  No appointments or lines for babies.  If your wife needs a new passport, etc., she can do it at the same time without lines and appointments.

4.  Don't let him hang out with Hounddriver.

Then work on the British stuff.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1