13A travel restrictions

Thomas W
Posted
Posted

I am waiting for my probationary 13A to be approved. I came across some information on various sites that once approved and if you leave the Philippines for more than 6 months, the 13A is cancelled and you re enter as a tourist..or of course a balikbayan if your travelling with your filipino wife. Is this true

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Thomas W said:

I am waiting for my probationary 13A to be approved. I came across some information on various sites that once approved and if you leave the Philippines for more than 6 months, the 13A is cancelled and you re enter as a tourist..or of course a balikbayan if your travelling with your filipino wife. Is this true

Best to ask the BI Lawyer when you go in for your 13A Permanent interview.  Expat sites are not the best source of information when it comes to the real story.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

Best to ask the BI Lawyer when you go in for your 13A Permanent interview.  Expat sites are not the best source of information when it comes to the real story.

Expat sites, well this one at least, is a great source of information when it come to the real story but the problem is there is no real story here in the Philippines! 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know on the permanent 13a you have to pay about p2,500 fee for a 'return authorization' - part of the ECC. It allows you to stay out of the country up to a year (single use).  There may be one available on the provisionary?  I would recommend asking at you local BI office.  I would also assume if it is available you would have to return before your provisionary expires. 

Thomas W
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

Lol..yes I agree..

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been told that you can leave as many times in 1 year as you want as long as the PH is your home base, just remember it is a permanent residents visa. A lot will depend on the BI officer on duty at the airport at the time. As Ram said ask your lawyer as she should have the up to date information. 

I have a friend (13a) and he leaves several times a year for his work and he gets no problems, unfortunately, I cannot get hold of him at the moment.

• Like 1

Thomas W
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have been told that you can leave as many times in 1 year as you want as long as the PH is your home base, just remember it is a permanent residents visa. A lot will depend on the BI officer on duty at the airport at the time. As Ram said ask your lawyer as she should have the up to date information. 

I have a friend (13a) and he leaves several times a year for his work and he gets no problems, unfortunately, I cannot get hold of him at the moment.

Tks for the info..shall verify at the BI office

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Thomas W said:

.shall verify at the BI office

Very wise, I lost mine in 2010 due to my Not Reporting that year and they found out I was still living in Spain ( we used to report in Madrid but they changed the rules, as they do) In Reality we are supposed to actually reside here But.................... YMMV :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
Hmm guess what LOL
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Does he go over for longer than 6 months?

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

In practice fixed rules in the Philippines don’t matter as much as interpreting how they might look at the gray areas since most of us know better to screw up the obvious stuff. How much do your actions argue you are not complying with the spirit of permanent residency? How much do your actions suggest an occasional casual trip out of the country?

I find the authorities usually have a basis to be critical. They may overreact or overreach but often something sets them off that has a tread of reason to it. Just my experience and not saying they can’t be a PITA.