Positive Change

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

They have regular cleanups around here but it does not take long to get spoiled again.

Yeah, they have done an annual cleanup of Manila bay for the last 5 or 6 years. It does not last long.  

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I,  like most of us, have to come to grips with this strange paradox, every time I go past my gate.  

I used to wonder how people who are so neat and clean in their personal appearance, and spend so much time swinging soft and hard brooms both in and right outside their little homes and compounds, blithely turn a blind eye to the public commons trashing. 

I guess they just compartmentalize. Private is my responsibility and public is the barangay's... or whoever else is getting some public funding to deal with the problem.  Unfortunately, the public funds don't always end up where they are supposed to go.

So I've just learned to over ride my home culture viewpoint, and adopt theirs when living here. If it doesn't bother them, I'm not going to let it bother me.  Change will have to come from within, over time, if it occurs.

My crusading days are long over. 

• Like 5

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Yeah, they have done an annual cleanup of Manila bay for the last 5 or 6 years. It does not last long.  

Everybody jumps on the bandwagon for the big cleanup. The V.I.P.'s show up to get their pictures and videos taken for the local newspapers and tv news channels. Couple days later when it's not fresh news anymore everything returns to normal.:angry_80_anim_gif:

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 4/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, Jake said:

Shaming his nearby neighbors and business owners, as well as the local govt is like walking the tight rope.    However, I do hope he finally sets an example to basically to clean up after yourselves.

But unfortunately, the culture of littering, pollution and noise pollution has been a way of life.  You can't be a one man crusade but I'm glad he was able to persuade the locals to pitch it.....this time. 

So cleaning the beach behind my lot is not a good idea?

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Everybody jumps on the bandwagon for the big cleanup. The V.I.P.'s show up to get their pictures and videos taken for the local newspapers and tv news channels. Couple days later when it's not fresh news anymore everything returns to normal.:angry_80_anim_gif:

Maybe a national campaign tapping into Filipino patriotism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Mess_with_Texas

Don't Mess with Texas 

is a slogan for a campaign aimed at reducing littering on Texas roadways by the Texas Department of Transportation. The phrase "Don't Mess with Texas" is prominently shown on road signs on major highways, television, radio and in print advertisements. The campaign is credited with reducing litter on Texas highways roughly 72% between 1986 and 1990.[1] The campaign's target market was 18- to 35-year-old males, which was statistically shown to be the most likely to litter. While the slogan was not originally intended to become a statewide cultural phenomenon, it did.

Beyond its immediate role in reducing litter, the slogan has been popularly appropriated by Texans. The phrase has become "an identity statement, a declaration of Texas swagger".[2] Though the origin of the slogan is not well known outside of Texas, it appears on countless items of tourist souvenirs. Since the phrase is a federally registered trademark, the department has tried at times to enforce its trademark rights with cease and desist letters,[3] but has had very limited success. The slogan is the title of the book, Don’t Mess With Texas: The Story Behind the Legend.

"Don't Mess with Texas" has been awarded a plaque on the Madison Avenue Walk of Fame and a place in the Advertising Hall of Fame, a distinction given to only two slogans annually.[4]

"Don't Mess with Texas" is also the official motto of the Virginia-class submarine USS Texas.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
paste as plain text to remove all unwanted links
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

So cleaning the beach behind my lot is not a good idea?

Excellent idea!  You can also solicit some kids (50 pesos each) to assist you.  Hopefully they will know that our oceans are the biggest dumping ground.  It's a matter of education, starting off with respect for Mother Nature.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Reboot said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Mess_with_Texas

Don't Mess with Texas 

is a slogan for a campaign aimed at reducing littering on Texas roadways by the Texas Department of Transportation. The phrase "Don't Mess with Texas" is prominently shown on road signs on major highways, television, radio and in print advertisements. The campaign is credited with reducing litter on Texas highways roughly 72% between 1986 and 1990.[1] The campaign's target market was 18- to 35-year-old males, which was statistically shown to be the most likely to litter. While the slogan was not originally intended to become a statewide cultural phenomenon, it did.

Beyond its immediate role in reducing litter, the slogan has been popularly appropriated by Texans. The phrase has become "an identity statement, a declaration of Texas swagger".[2] Though the origin of the slogan is not well known outside of Texas, it appears on countless items of tourist souvenirs. Since the phrase is a federally registered trademark, the department has tried at times to enforce its trademark rights with cease and desist letters,[3] but has had very limited success. The slogan is the title of the book, Don’t Mess With Texas: The Story Behind the Legend.

"Don't Mess with Texas" has been awarded a plaque on the Madison Avenue Walk of Fame and a place in the Advertising Hall of Fame, a distinction given to only two slogans annually.[4]

"Don't Mess with Texas" is also the official motto of the Virginia-class submarine USS Texas.

A new slogan for the Philippines.

It's more fun in the Philippines..to not liter!:smile:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 4/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, Reboot said:

I was just thinking about this. Shame. And fines.

All of us Americans here probably recall the Keep America Beautiful campaign PSA that showed the old indian chief astride his stallion, tear running down his cheek as he surveyed the litter across "his" land. Cue voice over: "People start pollution. People can stop it."

I consumed a bazillion hours of TV as a kid and that PSA is burned into my gray matter. Aside from being trained to throw things away properly by my parents, I actually felt bad for that old fellow when i saw trash on the street. For God's sake! They'll make the indian cry!

And then, as extra incentive, the littering fines were upped everywhere - especially along highways where trash used to be tossed out of automobile windows at much higher rates than it is now.

But those won't work here. Shame doesn't work here for more than a few minutes and there's no one to levy fines as those in charge of doing so are all under a canopy at the crossroads or sitting in their vehicles with the windows up, AC on, and disco lights going.

An appeal to patriotism might work here though. Especially if the President were to make a fist at some litter and swear.