The Local and their Rubbish!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

victor meldrew.jpg Sir said the Son of the family, Your Grass Cutter ( Strimmer) has run out of Gas ( 2 Stroke fuel) Do you have any? Cheeky Bar Stewards :56da632e94212_1(60): :hystery:

It must have somehow spilled out…… Into his bike.:hystery:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Old55 said:

It must have somehow spilled out…… Into his bike.:hystery:

Bad Taste ( angry baby).jpg he got a 4 Stroke :whistling:

• Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Bad Taste ( angry baby).jpg he got a 4 Stroke :whistling:

Wow he`s quick, takes me at least 99:hystery::whistling:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, sonjack2847 said:

Wow he`s quick, takes me at least 99:hystery::whistling:

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 4/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Just walked the Dogs ( about 1 hour ago) and came across the Barangay Captain giving a local neighbour a mouthful of rants.

Seems as in other small Subdivisions we have around here have there Fronts on a small Circle and there backs on Other Barangay Roads Ours being one of them. The Front of their houses are controlled by their own Purock Committees but the backs are not so what happens? I will tell you, They treat our Barangay Road and other ones around as their personal Rubbish Tips, Now as a Foreigner of course, I can say or do nothing yet the Captain was trying to get me involved in remenstrating this Particular family. NO way Jose was my thought and deed. Anyway, later on he came down and said OH! I thought it was you that made the complaint, No sir, I said to the man of the House, last week you need to clean up this glass so it will not harm any Children or Animals. To that I guess, he was under the impression that I had complained to the Barangay about his mess in the Road. Transpire now that it was his neighbour that complained and then ducked and dived to escape the family. So it seems that people here are all too ready to blame the Foreigner, for having been reported when all we do is point something out and others (Locals) Report it. Had the neighbour just cleaned up the Broken Glass ( After a Party that got out of Hand) Things would have been fine But No!  Damned if we do and Damned if we don't  :whistling: :smile:

Drove on a road today that I hadn't been on in awhile. Right next to a river that feeds into Manila Bay. The river overflows during heavy downpours so the Barangay built a 2 meter high retaining wall and a one meter high fence on top of it to try to stop the people that live next to the river from throwing their trash into it. 

What a joke. The fence has all kinds of plastic bags hanging from it from the people that couldn't quite throw hard enough to make it over into the river. Their mentality is that if they don't see it anymore it must not exist. :angry_80_anim_gif:

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I will weigh in with a few thoughts here too, regarding rubbish...

I live in a three story apartment building here in Davao. Mostly middle to upper class from what I can tell, but I am not good at assessing relative wealth here yet - not enough time or experience. However, I see my neighbours on either side of my apartment sweeping up their side of the street and gutter and then dumping it across the street on the vacant strip in front of a vacant home. I have also seen them take household waste - trimmed bush, tree, weed and grass clippings and I mean BIG piles of these - and dumping them on a vacant lot just 50 meters away. I don't get it. The barangay has a garbage pickup at least two or three times weekly here.

When living on Samal Island, I watched as all sorts of palm fronds, logs, tree and bush trimmings and so forth wash up on beaches. The next high tide would come in and the owners (or workers) would wade out into the water and take and shove all this rubbish back out into the ocean and coax it to float away to the next beachfront lot. Then I watched, in disbelief, as the next lot owner or workers would repeat this process! My partner saw this too and cannot understand the mindset of these people. I can imagine all this rubbish and vegetation might now have a pedigree - maybe it has circled Samal Island many times over the years as the tides and currents push and change? Sorry.... but I just don't get it...

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I've told this story before how on Corrigador they have netted the beaches on the Manila side to trap the rubbish floating out of Manila which they load into a hauler and drive across thd island and dump back into the sea to carry on it's journey into Manila bay.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry.... but I just don't get it...

:89: "If things don't change they will stay as they are"  They haven't and things won't change in our lifetime But Then, My Now passed on MIL said the same thing and I guess here Mother said the same :whistling:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gary D. I am new here and did know about that... So Manila trash has a pedigree too?

And Jack, I think you and your MIL and her Mom were all, unfortunately, right.

This is all so sad. I guess the Filipinos can't ship their rubbish to Canada or Australia?

I wish I had the means to organize or construct one of those electrical generators that can burn just about anything to create electricity - from used tires, plastic, food waste, textiles, vegetable matter, animal poo.... The Philippines would benefit greatly from such a technology developed here, both economically and ecologically... But would it actually be possible, even remotely? I somehow, sadly, doubt it. I really would like my sojourn here in my autumn days to somehow benefit this place and these people... Maybe I will resort to planting trees?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I wish I had the means to organize or construct one of those electrical generators that can burn just about anything to create electricity - from used tires, plastic, food waste, textiles, vegetable matter, animal poo.

Tom thy had one built by a US Company, This is why they bought all that rubbish BUT Unfortunately it was never agreed as to who would operate it. Therefore it fell into disrepair and was ruined Thus leaving the rubbish Bought in what has now become a fiasco

The one thing that is clear is that The Indigenous Population either fear or plainly just do not like Organisation and Control IMHO