The Local and their Rubbish!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Ah... thanks for the information Jack. Again... I have seen this time and time again in the islands...where some generous country or corporate identity altruistically brings in a technology or industry with the best intentions, only to see it fall apart due to infighting, tribalism (the world is still very tribal, in case you haven't noticed lately?), lack of maintenance or incompetence... It makes me want to scream and shout sometimes!

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Can't remember which Typhoon it was..2004 or 2006. First Typhoon where I got to witness the eye of the storm. Winds blowing like hell in one direction for a few hours, then calm and a little sunshine, then the winds starting again from the opposite direction. Rivers overflowed and the streets were like rivers. After the wind stopped I saw countless people throwing their yard waste and whatever they wanted to get rid of into the streets to let the water carry it away. Out of sight, out of mind! I was amazed.:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

That is actually quite shocking to hear! This is the first I have heard of that. Disgusting! Thanks for the info.

I was in American Samoa for a year on my yacht. There were countless storms, but no really close hurricanes, thankfully...

But whenever it rained heavily, the local streams (not long or big enough to be rivers) would run strongly bringing all the local rubbish into the harbour: dead cats, dogs, bottles, cans bags of rubbish, 55 gallon drums, etc. After one such storm, the local newspaper had an article in it blaming the yachties for all the rubbish - including diapers - for which there were no babies on board any yachts in the harbour!

Imagine now, my feelings about rubbish?

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Lack of pride in their property  and surroundings.  A quick look at many of the properties here and you will see disrepair, lack of maintenance and general apathy towards their property and surroundings.  

Their cars are well-maintained and always clean, though!  :whistling:

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Lack of pride in their property  and surroundings.  A quick look at many of the properties here and you will see disrepair, lack of maintenance and general apathy towards their property and surroundings.  

Their cars are well-maintained and always clean, though!  :whistling:

This is something that makes me confused, people live in places that looks like shacks with trash everywhere but themself are dressed in spotless clothes, shower 3 times a day and are clean in general. WHY cant they keep it Clean where they live???

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

WHY cant they keep it Clean where they live???

Good Question mark.jpg But then we know where we are :whistling:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Just following the tycycles and cars here in the province where the rubbish is thrown out the window is what I see, but hang on the same is happening in Australia along the roads, and now a lot of camping sites at some of the more popular beaches are being closed to the public because of the rubbish that people leave behind.

Could be something in the water on why peoples attitudes are changing, along the same lines as the police in Australia are now trying to gain respect from the public and a national campaign to stop people bashing the ambulance officers that come to treat them after their substance abuse.

It's dangerous out there.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

A quick look at many of the properties here and you will see disrepair, lack of maintenance and general apathy towards their property and surroundings.

Just a quick comment about the above. I believe part of the problem is the method of property valuation. Unlike in the states, (and that is my only point of reference) where each individual property is valued. Here it is done by Barangay and zip code by square meter and it is only updated every 10 years or so. Like I said, its only PART of the problem but seems to me there is little incentive to maintain or improve your property.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Just following the tycycles and cars here in the province where the rubbish is thrown out the window is what I see, but hang on the same is happening in Australia along the roads

The US had the very same problem, but it's gotten much better since we began our 'Keep America Beautiful' campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_America_Beautiful

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

The US had the very same problem, but it's gotten much better since we began our 'Keep America Beautiful' campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_America_Beautiful

Just following the tycycles and cars here in the province where the rubbish is thrown out the window is what I see, but hang on the same is happening in Australia along the roads, and now a lot of camping sites at some of the more popular beaches are being closed to the public because of the rubbish that people leave behind.

Could be something in the water on why peoples attitudes are changing, along the same lines as the police in Australia are now trying to gain respect from the public and a national campaign to stop people bashing the ambulance officers that come to treat them after their substance abuse.

It's dangerous out there.