You don't know anyone until you live with them!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So the saying goes.

Many times I have said, Living here is so very different to Visiting. I was at a Birthday Party on Friday and the conversation got around to Driving  :wow: Now that was something else. The Locals at our table spent a good 1/2 an hours arguing about how bad the Driving was, Of course I was asked what I thought, easy to answer? Yep I just said you can't drive period and you all never obey the rules anyway, Much laughter:hystery: but much agreeance on the subject. Now this is just one instance where these people actually had disagreements on one subject YET, those that were guilty of such then changed the Subject ( as they do when Losing and argument) the conversation moved on to Kids. Well What a subject, it would seem I was on a table of Debate but for the Topic it starts to show that our lovely people here just love and Argument for the sake of. Now I went down to the Sori Sori just now and there was a disagreement at the store about payments from last weeks credit now payable. So many voices so many differing stories but it goes to show that once it starts they are like Terriers and won't submit. For me, If I am wrong, I will Admit it and apologize where needed. As much as I love it here and enjoy my life and surroundings I am sure that I will never truly understand these normally good even kind hearted people. I am sure many others can and I hope tell their own little observations on life here among the local that is never wrong and will go to any length to prove their point. 

I am sure that there will be many stories about the Missing Cock ( Chicken that is) and the Barking Dog that mysteriously dies. OH some one must have stolen it or poisoned the Dog. It happens and this is what starts Rifts in Families and communities that my Friends can go on forever (it seems)

We as Foreigners are really just here and usually get the blunt end of things but in reality there are more problems among themselves that would ever come to light if just visiting. I could go on and on as I know maybe I could but Hey, let others join in. I won't get started on Money ( or the lack of it) because that is the Basis of many disagreements, Next time you are out in the Malls listen to the Saless girls, While they are not smiling at you or saying Hi Sir and Madam or such, They will be Moaning to or at each other over something probably trivial but could expand into a little war. I don't wish to be unkind to the people here But they are a nation of Moaners among themselves and they moan about just anything :rolleyes:

Jack:shades: 

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I don't wish to be unkind to the people here But they are a nation of Moaners among themselves and they moan about just anything :rolleyes:

Whilst that may or may not be true, when it comes to moaning and moaning just for the sake of it, I think that us British are the worst culprits.  Take a trip back to the UK and spend a few days there, you will hear more incessant complaining there than you will do here anytime.  Just my honest opinion.     The Australian term of "Whinging Poms" is totally justified as far as I can see.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

The Australian term of "Whinging Poms" is totally justified as far as I can see.

Very true Eddies but we are in the Philippines and we are really talking about how we see the interaction between the locals themselves as per a request from Old 55. Good Point but a little off Topic I think at this Time :wink:  having said that   Who loves you.jpg :whistling:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling wud you belive

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Some arguments and grudges go way back. We have all learned when face is involved compromise and reason is gone.

It would be interesting to have some insight the drama going on in ones neighborhood. Foreigners are outsiders to most unless unwittingly drawn into it as a pawn. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Old55 said:

It would be interesting to have some insight the drama going on in ones neighborhood. 

Straight in ( as it is my Topic on your behalf :whistling:)

Family from Manila moved in to claim some years old squabble over this Provincial lot,  said interlopers build makeshift Housing that encroached other family members house and Lots, Captain called and the ROD got involved, Interlopers told to move House 3 meters back ( Bad Blood starts) This is about 6 years ago just after I built my House, More Family plunder more land when the Lola Died. Build 3 Concrete House encroaching the Barangay Road. Captain called and after much Trouble Told to move Posts and such to leave a 2.5 meter Roadway for Traffic BUT a Tree stopped the Traffic so more Bad Blood spilling out from neighbours now. I with Others paid to have this Tree taken out and thus gave access up and down the Road. Cousins come home from OFW's work and decide to build a House on the Remaining Lot. This cut off the Acces from the Highway to the Local Store. Business Lost and much bad Blood all around. Then said 3 House put up Roof extensions for a new roof and reduced the road height so no delivery vehicle over 3 meters high could pass the Road. Fire brigade called to asses. Nope can't get a Tender up so Even More bad Blood, Law and order went out of the Window, which ended up with people being reported for this and that. The Story will go on for ever as the Last remaining Lot was Donated ( by others that owned) as a Play Area for the Kids, Basketball ring erected. Now the family use it as a Carpark for their 6/7 vehicles as and when they feel like it. One Family that are Not Local have come and spoiled the Lives in many ways of People that have been in the Purok for many many years. This is Life here just now, it affects me not nor my family at the back of the Store but each and every day there are some squabbles and Bad Blood which now seems to be the Norm and  has surely Split the Community :5590: If only :15: :grouphugg: :whatever:

Edited by Jack Peterson
Guess what
  • Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Land theft has caused deep seated grudges in Philippines due to the inheritance rules and lack of law.

Our family similar issues as you called out Jack. Three substantial properties that I know of stolen by the Leyte group of brothers and sisters from the three living in Cebu.

My Father in laws 2 hectare property in Talisay Cebu had squatters take over part and distant family more. Same with blocked road Captan called in to clear bad blood and threats to the point they smartly sold it and moved into a subdivision. The drama grudges and anger is sad. 

I first thought this could be an interesting topic but it's just sad. For sure not all Filipinos are all about hating and grudges but it's something that directly affects some of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I first thought this could be an interesting topic but it's just sad.

Yes Dan it is sad but it is a fact of life, I have often said the we ( as Foreigners) don't integrate enough with the Local but alas those of us that do learn the day to day Grudges of our extended Families and Neighbours to an extent one tends to think, Do I really need this? No of course we don't But we chose to marry our Ladies and live here so we must listen to the woes of them and try ( if we ever can) to understand what the Philippines is all about ( More so I believe on the Islands away from what may be  Areas somewhat not so troublesome)   I guess we all see things through those Rose coloured Glasses we say we have taken off But have we? Topics like this can help those that have not yet done much Integration and certainly newcomers such as a recently departed Member who maybe just could have had a better insight to the Real  problems that there are out there, Great we all get on and when we meet of course we have our Moans But when we write or read about these things have we really got anything to moan about? Personally I don't think so :smile:

BTW we have no water again today:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

BTW we have no water again today:whistling:

Cold beer? :56da64a8e0a60_13_4_101:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have witnessed 2 land grabs since living here the one by JP`s house and one in Dalaguete and both have been really nasty with unbelievably the grabbers playing the victim. They have both times come down from Manila and they have tried to take over the area they live in. One of the land grabbers in Dalaguete went to the police haha they had been looking for her involving drugs now she is in prison serves her right. She has been there for 4 1/2 years and is looking at life. I wish Karma would visit people more often and more quickly than it normally does then perhaps they would act amongst themselves more amicably. It`s a shame really as on the whole, these are really nice people who will drop what they are doing and help for no payment but more than a few bad apples spoil it for all it seems. Anyway chin up and hopefully, no expat will get involved to be made a scapegoat of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Whilst that may or may not be true, when it comes to moaning and moaning just for the sake of it, I think that us British are the worst culprits.  Take a trip back to the UK and spend a few days there, you will hear more incessant complaining there than you will do here anytime.  Just my honest opinion.     The Australian term of "Whinging Poms" is totally justified as far as I can see.

Hang about I just moan about the weather and my work colleges , hold on I have no work colleges now so I just moan about the weather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4