Pets and I never really wanted any.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I had cockatiels for years, a breeding pair, even here in Australia where they're native and readily available I used to make some good money off them.  Highly intelligent and actually very affectionate if you take the time.  Mine had the run of the house for a couple of hours each day and for some reason they only ever used to poop in their cage - Literally "shitting in your own nest" :SugarwareZ-005:.  If I was just chilling at the computer or watching TV they always wanted to be close or sitting on some part of my body.  I miss 'em.  Unfortunately the next door neighbour's kid got hold of one and was a little too affectionate and the male was killed.  The female only lasted about 3 months after that, moped around and then one day I woke up and she was dead in the bottom of their cage :sad:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

If you've got to have birds then cockatiels are one of the better breeds I think.  My daughter in Australian has 2, although she's careful to keep them in separate cages so each of them bonds primarily with her and not with each other.  I had never thought of small birds as good pets (having had budgerigars when I was a child) but they are actually quite affectionate (they can get quite crabby at times too).

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I had cockatiels for years, a breeding pair, even here in Australia where they're native and readily available I used to make some good money off them.  Highly intelligent and actually very affectionate if you take the time.  Mine had the run of the house for a couple of hours each day and for some reason they only ever used to poop in their cage - Literally "shitting in your own nest" :SugarwareZ-005:.  If I was just chilling at the computer or watching TV they always wanted to be close or sitting on some part of my body.  I miss 'em.  Unfortunately the next door neighbour's kid got hold of one and was a little too affectionate and the male was killed.  The female only lasted about 3 months after that, moped around and then one day I woke up and she was dead in the bottom of their cage :sad:

We had lots of different birds in the UK 40 years ago when we moved we had to sell them as we moved to a place with about 1/8 the size of garden. We also had one in the house who was let out on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I've always liked cockatiels.  Had a pair for several years.  They're very friendly, affectionate and intelligent.  Spend some time and bond with them.  They love being scratched on the back of their head and near their beak.😀

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Balisidar said:

I've always liked cockatiels.  Had a pair for several years.  They're very friendly, affectionate and intelligent.  Spend some time and bond with them.  They love being scratched on the back of their head and near their beak.😀

The female likes attention but I frightened her when I moved her from the small cage to the larger one. The male we have only had since 1130 this morning so who knows how long he will be shy for. They are both sleeping about a foot apart on the same perch and yes she has all the blanket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I had a Cockatiel when I was in my 20's that someone gave me along with a small parrot.  They were fairly tame but could be produce blood when they got pissed off!  I think the key is get them as hand raised youngsters.

Some day when we renovate I would like to have nice bird setup.  When we were at Davao Crocodile Park in 2012 we saw these birds and they had great personalities.  Anyone know what they are?  Although they look like small parrots I think they have another name.

bird.JPG  

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I have a parrot that Judy bought for our granddaughter.   I have no idea what breed it might be but seems tame -- only gets excited when hunger or wants the cage transferred outside.

My question is.....how the hell can you determine its' sex?  Well, for any bird for that matter.