Swollen Feet and Ankles (Edema)

Jimbouk
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on reducing the swelling of my feet and ankles? They swelled during the 14 hour flight to Manila and now 2 days later they still haven't gone down! I have been walking and drinking plenty of water but to no avail.

Thanks,

Jimbo UK

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

From the Mayo clinic

Foot swelling isn't a serious problem if it lasts only a short time. But excessive swelling that persists for several hours after you resume activity may be due to a more serious condition, such as a blood clot in the leg (deep vein thrombosis) — especially if the swelling occurs in only one leg and is accompanied by leg pain. If you experience these signs and symptoms, seek prompt medical attention.

A fellow I know got a blood clot from that and it was serious enough they admitted him to hospital in the US.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

IMO you should seek medical attention immediately just to be safe.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree see a doctor just to be safe, I have this problem also to some degree.

One relatively cheap thing that helps is compression socks (although without AC they’re hot to wear).

You could try sleeping with them on and also elevating your legs can help.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bob1965
Posted
Posted

Agreed...compression socks. They really help. And wear them on the flight next time. The heat is probably making it worse. When it’s in the 30’s my fingers and feet swell for a week or so, until I acclimatize.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

From the Mayo clinic

A fellow I know got a blood clot from that and it was serious enough they admitted him to hospital in the US.  

My friend in Dalaguete had that and it hospitalised him and he had to fly back to Holland to get it sorted. Get to the doctor now mate as it may get much worse.

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jimbouk said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on reducing the swelling of my feet and ankles? They swelled during the 14 hour flight to Manila and now 2 days later they still haven't gone down! I have been walking and drinking plenty of water but to no avail.

Thanks,

Jimbo UK

I agree with the other posts with regards to seeing a doctor, better safe than sorry.  I suffered from this last year when I arrived, lasted a couple of months, elevating the feet definitely helped me, I put a pillow under my feet at night so they were raised and every morning the swelling had gone down.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

I agree with the other posts with regards to seeing a doctor, better safe than sorry.  I suffered from this last year when I arrived, lasted a couple of months, elevating the feet definitely helped me, I put a pillow under my feet at night so they were raised and every morning the swelling had gone down.

Haven't experienced any swelling in my feet but starting about 6 years ago I've had numbness starting in my toes and then gradually it's working it's way up both of my feet. I'm too stubborn to go see a doctor even though I have Tricare. I haven't had a medical check up since I retired from the USN in 94.:unsure:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I've had numbness starting in my toes and then gradually it's working it's way up both of my feet

I've had that for years.  My doctors all told me it was probably  Diabetic Neuropathy and I had to take better care of my blood sugar.  I believed them.  They could still be right.  But a young pharmacist in Generika Drug Store told me it might be vitamin E deficiency and it is a cheap easy fix to try.  I tried it.  It worked.  Little or no numbness in my toes or feet.  Maybe just a co-incidence because how can the sweet young thing in the drug store know more than all the doctors? :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2