the Manicure and Pedicure

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

OK Stewburner. Anchor clanker here. Loved your chow. :smile:

I was an Engineman in the Navy. I cooked before the Navy.  I fixed the refrigeration though :tiphat: 

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted (edited)

Unimaginably cheap prices compared to the West and Geoff made a nice post about turning it into part of your day- not to spin it into a negative but bring alcohol or even your own small private mani pedi personal kit. (About $15 US).

I am in Geoff’s happy camp too- but received a severe infection once from a manicure. Most of us might agree hygiene laws are not stressed here. 

I add an extra P20-P50 tip to acknowledge their inconvenience for not using their own tools because surely they prefer the feel of what they normally use daily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XCEW8E2/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

Edited by RubberChicken
link
  • Like 4

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:05 AM, GeoffH said:

If you'd told me 20 years ago that I'd enjoy going for a manicure and pedicure I'd have laughed at you :)

Thats the position I am in right now, hahaha, but I will probably change in the future :wink:

11 hours ago, RubberChicken said:

Unimaginably cheap prices compared to the West and Geoff made a nice post about turning it into part of your day- not to spin it into a negative but bring alcohol or even your own small private mani pedi personal kit. (About $15 US).

I am in Geoff’s happy camp too- but received a severe infection once from a manicure. Most of us might agree hygiene laws are not stressed here. 

I add an extra P20-P50 tip to acknowledge their inconvenience for not using their own tools because surely they prefer the feel of what they normally use daily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XCEW8E2/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

This is exactly what I been thinking of too. My girlfriends sister is doing homeservice with mani and pedicure and when I asked her how often and how she sterilized the tools? she just stared at me and then said that it was not necessary because her clients were Clean!!!:whistling:

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I had forgotten until your post but I once got an infection in my big toe after a mani-pedi, since then we haven't been back to that shop and the ones we go to now do clean the cutters and other tools before use. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

I had forgotten until your post but I once got an infection in my big toe after a mani-pedi, since then we haven't been back to that shop and the ones we go to now do clean the cutters and other tools before use. 

Point taken Geoff But how often do we see the barber clean/sterilize scissors or clipper heads? combs even :wink:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Point taken Geoff But how often do we see the barber clean/sterilize scissors or clipper heads? combs even :wink:

Honestly, I've never seen the barbers here clean or sterilize scissors or clupper heads in the Philippines.

In Australia they often (but not always) use a UV sterilizer but I've noticed that the chain barbers sometimes don't have them.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Getting lices is not as serious as getting an infection, fungus or another similar problem you can get after being treated with unclean tools at the mani/pedicure :wink:

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Interesting thread here.  Food for thought. I probably should google barbering and nail salon hygiene. Barbers might use clippers and shears on the hair, but they do use razors, which might get through your natural barriers to infection. Same for manicure/pedicure tools.

I do recall a news article a few years back about some urban USA nail salons, where, despite health regulations, the owners weren't following proper procedures (like changing the sterilizing solutions frequently enough or not  all.  There were multiple infections with the clients and a crack-down ensued.  They hired low cost labor, who might have had to bear the cost for their station's antiseptics or something. The investigative journalistic follow up revealed  wide  spread non-compliance with health dept. standards, especially in the Asian owned salons.

Most people prefer not to 'borrow' other people's brushes and combs. Head lice used to be the major concern before everyone had access to daily showers. I recall seeing as a child, my barber's combs in a glass with blue solution, so I know that even long ago, it was a concern they paid heed to.

I like Rubberchicken and GeoffH's advice about offering the use of your own alcohol or even tools to make sure there is no bacteria carry-over.

After shaving you sideburns, ear top and neck, the barbers usually use an alcohol based rub for cleanup.... and the cowboys in the movies always spring for the added lavender scent before they head to the cat house.

I think I'll pass on this concern and advice to the wife, since she always has women come over for home manicure/pedicures. They bring their own kit, but I never pay attention.

I like to do my own because as you age, your nails thicken and I have to almost use a farrier's hoof rasp to keep them down to normal size and shape. I'm getting tired of rasping and filing, so maybe I'll invest in a moto-tool. Heh-heh.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Viking said:

Getting lices is not as serious as getting an infection, fungus or another similar problem you can get after being treated with unclean tools at the mani/pedicure :wink:

I had my ear cut once and it got infected with not a nice thing also as I am nigh on bald, the clippers cut the skin if handled badly Lice would have a hard job to feed on my head,Don't please lets us split hairs ( pun intended) there is virtually no sanitary behaviour in most if not all these High street Parlours or hairdressers ( barbers) Let's be sure that we can all understand anything that touches our Body in any way should have been sanitized properly at the very least daily

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

This is exactly what I been thinking of too. My girlfriends sister is doing homeservice with mani and pedicure and when I asked her how often and how she sterilized the tools? she just stared at me and then said that it was not necessary because her clients were Clean!!!:whistling:

This truly captures their uncomplicated nature so I have my friendly work around alcohol and my own kit. Not neurotic about it, just a quick splash wherever a tool touches skin. I remind myself a mani-pedi in U.S is P1800 plus tip. No complaints.

The lack of education isn’t changing soon. A visitor to the lady doing my nails took the tools and started cleaning the dirt out of her fingernails, then handed it back to the manicurist to finish my nails. Enough said. 

Lots of colorful stories incoming here. 🙂 

• Like 2