Cataract Surgery Cebu City question

Hector
Posted
Posted (edited)

Pardon me if I missed the reply that actually tells me which doctor in Cebu would take care of cataracts. My gf's father is 75 and I would like to see how much it would cost to have his condition taken care of.  I would like to know the range of prices before I say anything as I am on a fixed income and still a tourist.

Edit;

Hector, I moved your question to a new topic so as to better address your question.

Edited by Old55

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

As a senior it could be free.

https://www.cebu.gov.ph/news/pho-offers-free-cataract-surgery-helps-elderly-regain-better-eyesight/

Even if not free Philhealth will pay the majority of cost for cataract surgery.  Google "cataract surgery cebu city" and "cataract surgery philhealth" and "cataract surgery seniors" to find additional info.  There are a large number of clinics and hospitals that do cataract surgery.  Interestingly enough it seems the hospitals that do it free have the best results.  The reason is that they have the most experience because they do so many.  Sometime cheap, or even free, can be better. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

As a senior it could be free.

https://www.cebu.gov.ph/news/pho-offers-free-cataract-surgery-helps-elderly-regain-better-eyesight/

Even if not free Philhealth will pay the majority of cost for cataract surgery.  Google "cataract surgery cebu city" and "cataract surgery philhealth" and "cataract surgery seniors" to find additional info.  There are a large number of clinics and hospitals that do cataract surgery.  Interestingly enough it seems the hospitals that do it free have the best results.  The reason is that they have the most experience because they do so many.  Sometime cheap, or even free, can be better. :thumbsup:

There is just something freaky about letting a doctor using a knife blade on my eyes. I'd rather have large spiders crawling all over me than having a doctor poking at my eyes. Sorry but it just freaks me out.:Count_Sheep:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

There is just something freaky about letting a doctor using a knife blade on my eyes. I'd rather have large spiders crawling all over me than having a doctor poking at my eyes. Sorry but it just freaks me out.:Count_Sheep:

I had lasik done on both eyes about seven years ago.  I just about lost it when they use that instrument that cuts the flat off the front of the eye.  Then they fire laser shots at the eye to reshape the surface.  Imagine hearing snap snap snap and seeing white bursts on the surface of your eye.  Like big hailstones splatting onto a windshield.  The second eye was even worse because I knew what was going to happen.  Good thing they give you a tranquilizer first.  

Hector
Posted
Posted

Thanks again or the replies, been a little busy with the holidays, etc.  Mr. Moderator thank you for editing my post. I was/ am a car aficionado and when in a car forum I was asked to do a search before I posted and in doing so here the previous thread appeared. Anyway will see what my gf's father wants to do. Salamat. 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I feel exactly the same. I hope I never have to do it :chickendance:

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Viking said:

I feel exactly the same. I hope I never have to do it :chickendance:

Its pretty much a baseless fear.  With modern nerve deadeners, there's less feeling than getting an innoculation or when you have blood drawn. I've had needles stuck in both eyes for wet macular degeneration cures, and over 100 micro laser welds to heal a small tear (a bit more irritating than the painless needle inserts into my eyeballs) and drove the seven miles home each time.... carefully. 

Since your eyes are a primary survival mechanism, your body gives the healing a top priority. I've had bug bites here that bothered me far longer than my eye repair normalization. Took a nap when I got home and when I awoke, it was like I had never been to the opthomologist .

Sure better than living with impaired vision and not being able to make out all the pretty faces and figures waltzing by, that your sharp eyed  mates are calling attention to while sitting  at the mall coffee shop or restos.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Its pretty much a baseless fear.  With modern nerve deadeners, there's less feeling than getting an innoculation or when you have blood drawn. I've had needles stuck in both eyes for wet macular degeneration cures, and over 100 micro laser welds to heal a small tear (a bit more irritating than the painless needle inserts into my eyeballs) and drove the seven miles home each time.... carefully. 

Since your eyes are a primary survival mechanism, your body gives the healing a top priority. I've had bug bites here that bothered me far longer than my eye repair normalization. Took a nap when I got home and when I awoke, it was like I had never been to the opthomologist .

Sure better than living with impaired vision and not being able to make out all the pretty faces and figures waltzing by, that your sharp eyed  mates are calling attention to while sitting  at the mall coffee shop or restos.

You are right, but its not always the logical part of your brain that affect how you feel about things. I guess it has to do with the eyes being a very sensible part and it would affect you dramaticly if something went wrong. I often get crazy ideas like, what if the doc sneeze or get a hiccup when performing that surgery? :shock_40_anim_gif:

Its very good people can get help with this kind of problems but I hope I will never need it, because if I will, I wont sleep well before its done! 

• Like 1