The Silence is Deafening

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Kuya John said:

To walk into a gathering of people and explode a bomb knowingly, that many will be killed is Inhuman, and can never be justified in the name of GOD,

no matter who you consider GOD to be!

Really though? Literally says to murder non believers in the Quran and the Quran is supposed to be the final word of God.

If I wrote that book now I'd be put in jail in most countries.

• Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I just read this in the Daily Mail so they have suspects.

Is this the mastermind of Sri Lanka terrorist attacks? Suicide bombers were inspired by ISIS, say US intelligence agencies, as local media points the finger at radical Islamic cleric
Zahran Hashim named as suicide bomber in unconfirmed local media reports
Authorities believe National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ) was behind Sri Lanka attack
Its secretary Abdul Razik was previously arrested for inciting religious unrest
Group known for little more than being linked to vandalising Buddhist statues
By JESSICA GREEN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 15:33 BST, 22 April 2019 | UPDATED: 18:35 BST, 22 April 2019

This is the face of the mastermind behind the Sri Lanka terrorist attacks on Easter Sunday, unconfirmed reports in local media have claimed.

Zahran Hashim, a radical Islamic cleric known for posting incendiary videos on YouTube, was allegedly one of the suicide bombers who targeted the Shangri La hotel in Colombo.

Earlier indicators suggest those behind the devastating blasts which killed 290 people and wounded around 500 more were inspired by ISIS, a US official told CNN.  

Zahran Hashim (pictured) was allegedly one of the suicide bombers who targeted the Shangri La hotel in Colombo    +11
Zahran Hashim (pictured) was allegedly one of the suicide bombers who targeted the Shangri La hotel in Colombo

Sri Lankan soldiers look on inside the St Sebastian's Church at Katuwapitiya in Negombo on April 21, 2019, following a bomb blast    +11
Sri Lankan soldiers look on inside the St Sebastian's Church at Katuwapitiya in Negombo on April 21, 2019, following a bomb blast

Hashim had also wanted to attack the Indian High Commission in the capital of Sri Lanka on April 4 but failed to do so, intelligence sources told CNN-News18.

It comes after government officials accused the National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ) of carrying out the bombs in five-star hotels and churches.

While no group has admitted the carnage, government spokesman Rajitha Senaratne on Monday said authorities believed the NTJ was behind the suicide bombings.

The terror group is thought to have split off from another Islamist organisation in the South Asian country, the Sri Lanka Thowheed Jamath (SLTJ). 

SLTJ, have condemned the attack, strongly deny any links with the NTJ and say they actively oppose the group.

People who live near a church in Colombo, Sri Lanka, that was attacked yesterday, try to beat a person detained by police on Monday    +11
People who live near a church in Colombo, Sri Lanka, that was attacked yesterday, try to beat a person detained by police on Monday

The secretary of the SLTJ, Abdul Razik has been arrested several times on charges of inciting religious unrest. 

In 2016, authorities were warned there would be a 'blood bath' by the head of radical Buddhist group BSS, Galagodaatte Gnanasara, if Razik was not arrested.

Before being named prime suspects in the blasts which killed 39 foreign tourists and injured another 28, the group were known for little more than being linked to vandalising Buddhist statues.

Yet signs of radicalisation have grown since the group allegedly took hammers to Buddhist statues in the Kegalle district.

In January, four Muslim radicals were detained after Sri Lankan security forces discovered 100 kilogrammes of high explosives and 100 detonators near a remote wildlife park.

Meanwhile, authorities said 24 people have been arrested over the Easter bombings and that they were hunting for links between the group and foreign backers.

'We don't see that only a small organisation in this country can do all that,' Senaratne said.

The Sri Lankan presidency said in a statement that 'intelligence sections have reported that there are international terror groups which are behind local terrorists.'  

The Soufan Center, a New York based group that monitors global security threats, said the Sri Lanka bombings bore all the 'hallmarks' of 'attacks by other Salafi-jihadist groups, particularly those where local groups receive foreign support.'

It highlighted the Christmas Eve bombings in Indonesia in 2000, where al-Qaeda worked with local group Jemmah Islamiyah, and the 2005 hotel bombings in Amman masterminded by an Al-Qaeda affiliate.

'These attacks are designed to increase sectarian tensions and destabilise the governments of the countries where they take place,' said a Soufan Center study.

A report released by the group in January said Al Qaeda and Islamic State wanted to recruit followers in South Asia and their propaganda 'highlighted injustices against Muslims in Bangladesh, Myanmar, India, and Sri Lanka.' 

Major questions are now being asked over whether Sri Lankan police did enough to head off fears of suicide attacks on churches.

It comes after Sri Lanka's police chief issued a warning on April 11, saying a 'foreign intelligence agency' had reported NTJ was planning attacks on churches and the Indian high commission.

The government spokesman said however that police chief Pujuth Jayasundara should consider resigning following the attacks. 

Two government ministers have also alluded to intelligence failures. 

Telecommunications Minister Harin Fernando tweeted: 'Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action. Serious action needs to be taken as to why this warning was ignored.' 

Telecommunications Minister Harin Fernando tweeted: 'Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action. Serious action needs to be taken as to why this warning was ignored'    +11
Telecommunications Minister Harin Fernando tweeted: 'Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action. Serious action needs to be taken as to why this warning was ignored'

Fernando's tweet was accompanied by documents dated on April 11 with the words: 'INFORMATION OF AN ALLEGED PLAN ATTACK.' 

He said his father had heard of the possibility of an attack as well and had warned him not to enter popular churches. 

And Mano Ganeshan, the minister for national integration, said the security officers within his ministry had been warned by their division about the possibility two suicide bombers would target politicians. 

Church officials said some were told last week that attacks were possible. 

The terror attack was Sri Lanka's deadliest violence since a devastating civil war in the South Asian island nation ended a decade ago. 

Prime Minister Theresa May joined leaders across the world in condemning the atrocities while President Donald President vowed to 'stand ready to help'. 

Millions of tourists visit Sri Lanka every year but political crisis and religious tension have placed the industry under threat in recent months. 

• Thanks 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

A story with a major market “hook” will get more news cycles and more depth of coverage. It’s not proportional to the gravity of the event.

Take the same number of deaths in the U.S 911 tragedy and have them happen in a small third world country and see if it gets the same coverage.

(Not implying it is fair.)

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Kuya John said:

that very little condemnation has been said by Sri-Lankan Government Officials, 

politicians or World Governments,

It seems to be getting mentioned as a lead on most major networks now. This happened in our part of the world and the west was still asleep, channel news asia out of Singapore reported it almost immediately. This might be why it was not addressed quickly

14 hours ago, Kuya John said:

To walk into a gathering of people and explode a bomb knowingly, that many will be killed is Inhuman, and can never be justified in the name of GOD,

This will continue to happen, IMHO, until the politically correct segments of the worlds major powers come to realize that there is segment of one of the major religions that considers a human bomb as a religious experience and that the only way to stop it is to annihilate it root and branch like was done with histories other murderous ideologies. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love it 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

there is segment of one of the major religions that considers a human bomb as a religious experience and that the only way to stop it is to annihilate it root and branch like was done with histories other murderous ideologies. 

Are you talking about annihilating the 'branch' or the entire religion?  Because honestly, I can't see second one happening at all.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Kuya John said:

That is correct, however I think somewhere  my point was missed, certainly regarding day one with regards to leaders of Sri Lanka who while awaiting the return of their PM/ leader, chose not to see it as it was, compared to the immediate outpouring in New Zealand.

JGF,

I shall not be commenting  any further, other than suggest you read other peoples comments behind the online news of this tragic event who share my opinion. respectfully again. JB

Bottom line. Why do these pathetic losers do what they do? Is it the promise of virgins in the afterlife? Hell..just become a Catholic priest. Easy pickings.:facepalm_80_anim_gif: 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Are you talking about annihilating the 'branch' or the entire religion?  Because honestly, I can't see second one happening at all.

I vote for doing away with ALL religions. The only thing religions do is cause arguments and wars. IMHO:grouphugg:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Because honestly, I can't see second one happening at all.

The branch or the splinter or that branch, and to be honest in todays climate I believe it will only be done from within

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Supernatural  belief systems and organized religions seem to be part of the human experience in both prehistoric and historic societies. Not much luck in changing that even though the Soviets and Maoists tried. I think we're stuck with them, whether they produce good, bad, or sometimes horrific results.

I met a man 43 years ago, while we were building the Trans Alaskan oil pipeline. We worked together at -40^ temps that winter in the heart of the Brooks Range, north of the Yukon River valley.  Being young men, we had our parent's birth assigned faith. Life experience and continuous intellectual growth led us away from religious rigidity, but not many countries have religious plurality or alternative ethical systems available even when legal. 

I mention this life-long friend, because at this stage of our lives, he tells me of a little game he plays when missionary minded proselytizers come a-knocking.

He tells them, "Thank you very much, but I already have my own religion. I'm a Lincolnist".

They always say, "What's that?  I never heard of that religion before."

He then quotes Abraham Lincoln.

"When I do good, I feel good.  When I do bad, I feel bad. And that's my religion."

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I wonder if the Muslim people of Sri Lanka will hold a vigil like that of new Zealand? Christians coming to the Mosque hold hands and praying for the Muslims.   

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic