Earthquake

Mick
Posted
Posted

Just had a 5.9 not far from Manila, towards Angeles City, rocked the house here in Manila and the Pond water splashing around, to a point I felt sea sick 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Mick said:

Just had a 5.9 not far from Manila, towards Angeles City, rocked the house here in Manila and the Pond water splashing around, to a point I felt sea sick 

Some sources are quoting 6.4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It was strong here in Subic and it was the first time I was genuinely scared of one since I was a kid growing up in Southern California.  Center and intensity are jumping around in the news, but U.S.G.S. is reporting it centered near Floridablanca at 6.3.

I have not heard of injuries yet.  SM Olongapo has some big cracks in the side.  Praying that injuries are little or none.

Our kids watch a cartoon series called Babybus which is based in Japan and has some disaster preparedness segments.  They remembered some of the tips and Katy did not want to take this pillow off of her head for over a hour.  The first picture is right when we had the first aftershock.

20190422_172807 (2).jpg  20190422_173046 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We had a small one here in Iloilo around 10am - I didn't feel anything.  We have had a few small ones this year - more than in previous years I've been here

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mick said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how bad does that mean in terms of structure and ground damage?

I trust all is well now and nobody has been hurt.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Being prepared is the key. In the Philippines, you should have a two-weeks supply. The minimum drinking water is one gallon per person multiplied by the number of persons in the household. Instead of eating rice which requires lots of water for rinsing and cooking, have a supply of peanut butter and crackers. Keep a supply of baby wipes available in lieu of taking a bath.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Earthquakes this strong will usually have some injuries.  A grandma and grandchild in Lubao were killed when a wall toppled on them.  They were friends with my friend's parents, who own the farm in Lubao.

There was substantial damage to the Clark Airport terminals.  If there were people there, it seems like there were injuries.

I think this is the departure counter area an it appears that the ceiling caved in.  The airport is closed.

clark.jpg

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Last I seen was 5 dead. Many injuries .  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear of the extent of damage this Earthquake has caused and the loss of life

According to the New York Times in the last hour.

A magitude of 6.1 hit Castillejos, Zambales Province West of Manila at approx; 5 pm, and they are reporting the number of people as "up to 8" so far, which sounds that this could well increase.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1