Anybody had hip replacement surgery?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I use them, they help me a little (I've got arthritis).

Are you getting them here in PH?  I think I saw them at S&R but I'm not sure.  There is a kiosk at Ayala here that has most stuff, but their prices are outrageous.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Are you getting them here in PH?  I think I saw them at S&R but I'm not sure.  There is a kiosk at Ayala here that has most stuff, but their prices are outrageous.

Because I spend half the year in Australia and half in the Philippines I tend to buy as much medicine as I can in Australia where it is generally cheaper (or subsidized in some cases).    In the case of the Glucosomine and Chondriton Wagner have large plastic bottles with 200 in them and that's more than enough for 6 months.  They cost $24.99 at Chemist Warehouse (about 1000 peso).

*Edit* watsons web sit says they sell Glucosamine & Chondriton 90 capsule for 1595 peso (which sort of shows why I buy in Aussie).

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I get hip pain on my right side occasionally, comes and goes, mostly goes but when I have it I can barely walk. Then it just goes away as fast as it came. 3 days of pain at the most.

I know this is a serious topic but you have left yourself wide open and I gotta say it:

Too much money on payday in your right-hand pocket.  Takes you 3 days to spend it and then your hips are not out of alignment and the pain goes away. 

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19544148/why-fat-wallet-causes-bad-back/

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know this is a serious topic but you have left yourself wide open and I gotta say it:

Too much money on payday in your right-hand pocket.  Takes you 3 days to spend it and then your hips are not out of alignment and the pain goes away. 

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19544148/why-fat-wallet-causes-bad-back/

Actually that is true but mainly if you keep your fat wallet in your back pocket.  I moved it to the front pocket years ago since I have ongoing back problems since the age of 26.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I moved it to the front pocket years ago since I have ongoing back problems since the age of 26.

Ah! so only a couple of years then? :wink::7481:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Because I spend half the year in Australia and half in the Philippines I tend to buy as much medicine as I can in Australia where it is generally cheaper (or subsidized in some cases).    In the case of the Glucosomine and Chondriton Wagner have large plastic bottles with 200 in them and that's more than enough for 6 months.  They cost $24.99 at Chemist Warehouse (about 1000 peso).

*Edit* watsons web sit says they sell Glucosamine & Chondriton 90 capsule for 1595 peso (which sort of shows why I buy in Aussie).

Capture.JPG

I went by my local Mercury and they had Osteogard so I bought some to get started.  They are only 500 mg gluco and 300 mg, chon, so I need to take 3 to get close to what I wanted.  They were p17 each.  I'm hoping to find 1500/1200 Kirkland brand at S&R.

Funny thing was, at Mercury I ran into an Aussie guy I met in person for the first time last Saturday at a house blessing (we know each other online from our neighborhood association chat group).  I told him what I was buying and why, and he told me he just had his hip replaced last year in AU!  He is very happy about his titanium hip!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

he told me he just had his hip replaced last year in AU!  He is very happy about his titanium hip!

Not sure how long you plan on living, but my mother had her hip replaced about 15 years ago (in Canada). She took a year to heal but after the healing time, she was very happy with it. But it does not wear like a real bone so now, 15 years along, she has pain again.  The doctor told her she would need another hip if she wanted the pain gone.  She is 84 and has decided to live with the pain rather than go through another hip replacement. In her case, it was not a choice.  Her hip broke so it had to be done.  Having watched her go through it I would wait until it was absolutely required before putting myself through that.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not sure how long you plan on living, but my mother had her hip replaced about 15 years ago (in Canada). She took a year to heal but after the healing time, she was very happy with it. But it does not wear like a real bone so now, 15 years along, she has pain again.  The doctor told her she would need another hip if she wanted the pain gone.  She is 84 and has decided to live with the pain rather than go through another hip replacement. In her case, it was not a choice.  Her hip broke so it had to be done.  Having watched her go through it I would wait until it was absolutely required before putting myself through that.

I was doing some research and Wiki says "Approximately 58% of total hip replacements are estimated to last 25 years".  It is difficult to understand that kind of statistic but I guess I would read into it that a much higher % will last at least 15-20 years??  There are probably some better stats out there.

I definitely will prolong any surgery as long as possible.

Also, the longer you wait the better the technology gets.  I remember several years ago a bunch of hip replacements were recalled!  Ouch!

Edited by OnMyWay

Gary D
Posted
Posted

As hip replacements only last about 15 years the docs try and put it off until about 15 years before you die. Nifty bit of guess work needed there.