Where have the poor people gone?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

10 years ago you could go into any mall and the busiest store by far would be CDR King.  It catered to the poor people who wanted modern gadgets.  Junk gadgets imported from China.  10 years ago you would have to take a number, line up out the door and wait for your turn to be called.

Now it is 2019.  I went to CDR King to see what they have these days.  What they do not have is customers.  2 employees in the store and no customers.  Me, I was just looking to see what is new.  I know that all young Filipinos have gadgets but it seems they are buying more expensive stuff these days.  So where are the poor people buying their gadgets?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Maybe Shopee, it's like an online Divisoria.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know that all young Filipinos have gadgets but it seems they are buying more expensive stuff these days.  So where are the poor people buying their gadgets?

Iphone shop! :thumbsup:

Well that's how Filipina's think here in UK Dave

Edited by Kuya John

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I think the reason is CDR KING stores are mostly empty is they seem these days to be more interested in selling ECO Bikes and non electrical related products ! And their sales staff are not very enthusiastic ! There used to be 2 stores in Los Banos but now there is only one small one

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What they do not have is customers.  2 employees in the store and no customers. 

Hmm again it depends where one lives.

Also online shopping has grasped the consumers. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When I bought a new desktop pc I wanted a usb to transfer documents etc. I knew the price in the store I bought the desk top so then I checked the price in CDR King and it was dearer I think they have become not so cheap as they once were. So I think the poor have voted with their feet.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

So I think the poor have voted with their feet.

have to agree with this statement

9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know that all young Filipinos have gadgets but it seems they are buying more expensive stuff these days.  So where are the poor people buying their gadgets?

What I have found of Late is that both Globe and PLDT ( Smart) are getting Smarter [ pun intended :wink:] in that they can supply things that  you might normally go to CDR king for and they can do it on Credit which as we know, the Local loves

I Bought a samsung "A7" recently and i was amazed at what I don't need in the phone line, It operates on  "Nano" cards which one would normally need the service of CDR or the like to get started but NO! not even the  Samsung shop I went to various places and none could do what I asked but as I am on "TM" for my Phone I popped into Globe and they soon sorted it out and even carried my own number onto the new card. So maybe people are using the Phone companies (Globe / PLDT to obtain the stuff, they even do plans for ipads, Tablets and associated stuff, so as I say all this on post or prepaid accounts will yield, to me anyway, a steady line of customers. On PC gadgets I would not use CDR in the main and only buy the cheap Keyboards, Mice and such, much else is not always compatible.

Such is my 10 cents  :wink:

• Like 1