What happens if you don’t pay your debt

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

Have had surprisingly few requests for money, but last week the wife's half-sister (who I have yet to meet !) messaged me asking to help get her brother out of jail... for being drunk, and fighting. 

I told her I would pray for him.   :rolleyes:

Just the one prayer, any blessings thrown in too.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just the one prayer, any blessings thrown in too.

Well, an Atheist's prayer is something to be treasured, I reckon.... even without blessings. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

Over the years i sent money three times to save my brother-in-laws home. In the end the bank took it. i should have followed my wife's advice. "once is help,twice is robbery"

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

Over the years i sent money three times to save my brother-in-laws home. In the end the bank took

Lot's of good advice here.

My partner "loaned" money to another teacher on three occasions - none was paid back - but the other stopped asking! Loaning across virtually every island country I have visited in the South Pacific is considered to be gifts and are rarely repaid.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, Tommy T. said:

Loaning across virtually every island country I have visited in the South Pacific is considered to be gifts and are rarely repaid.

They know it is not a gift but these are the people who never pay back, in reality it amounts to theft as they have no intention of paying back. That is why they don`t go to 5/6 or other sources as they know it must be paid back. And these kind of people are not confined to any particular country their attitude is he/she can afford it.

The answer is don`t lend money, if you can afford it and the case warrants it then gift it, then there is no animosity.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

They know it is not a gift but these are the people who never pay back, in reality it amounts to theft as they have no intention of paying back. That is why they don`t go to 5/6 or other sources as they know it must be paid back. And these kind of people are not confined to any particular country their attitude is he/she can afford it.

The answer is don`t lend money, if you can afford it and the case warrants it then gift it, then there is no animosity.

Yes, I agree. These people try to borrow from friends or relatives because they can not get "legitimate" loans from traditional lenders like banks. I have seen this other than the islands however, that is where I have seen it the most - just my experience. I tell L all the time to only loan money you are willing to lose and so she rarely loans out any more.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Loan, give all the same meaning over there. At Christmas time I took the immediate relies out for tea and told them, no more money for trivial rubbish, only for emergencies. This has worked well with only a few die hards trying to con Pesos out of us. Now last week a medical emergency came up and the hand went out for help of all the relies, all broke. The lady is her niece and is 27 with a 7 year old son and to date has never asked for a Paseo. Without hesitation the wife said she would shoulder all expenses, don't worry about the family, you need the op now. Starting price 100 K but since that initial contact and our help, the rest of the family understand what an emergency is now, and I don't think we'll have any more trivial request for help. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Starting price 100 K but since that initial contact and our help, the rest of the family understand what an emergency is now, and I don't think we'll have any more trivial request for help

That's a good experience, financially. I hope the niece is okay now... I think you set a great example for the family - good for you!