We Will Get You

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This type of activity will lead to imprisonment no matter where the offenders live,maybe one day it will be stamped out so kids can be safe.BIRMINGHAM

Guardian
Posted
Posted
This type of activity will lead to imprisonment no matter where the offenders live,maybe one day it will be stamped out so kids can be safe.BIRMINGHAM

Mik
Posted
Posted

That's great to punish the guilty. But suppose an innocent person is put on trial 8000 miles from where the alleged crime occured. Can the innocent guy get a fair trial when the witnesses for his defense are on the other side of the globe?.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
That's great to punish the guilty. But suppose an innocent person is put on trial 8000 miles from where the alleged crime occured. Can the innocent guy get a fair trial when the witnesses for his defense are on the other side of the globe?
Nope, they absolutely can not get a fair trial. The US constitution guarantees individuals the right to confront their accusers and present witnesses in their defense. How can they do this when the alleged crime takes place on the other side of the world? These people should be turned over to the Thai authorities and dealt with by the Thai justice system.Aside from the inability for the accused to get a fair trial, I think its a dangerous thing when countries start applying their laws to actions that take place outside their borders. This law was put into place to fight human trafficking. The biggest victims of that are women and children. The laws are already going after the people that victimize children. Its only a short step to extend them to apply to people that engage in prostitution with adult women as well. We can debate whether or not women are victims or benefactors of prostitution, but the prevailing attitude is that third world hookers are victimized by first world Johns. Don't get to carried away cheering on the govt. to go after the degenerate pedophiles. Before you know it, you could be the next degenerate in the government's crosshairs.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I think what you are all forgetting is that they were caught with pictures and film of them with children. I really do not think anyone can put up a defense against that no matter what country they are in. Also, none of us knows what goes on behind the scenes and it is possible that the US offered them a choice of pleading guilty or being sent back to the country they committed the acts in to be put on trial and my guess is there would be no trial and just jail in many countries and execution in others. Look at the Philippines where accused soldiers sit 3 years rotting in a jail and then are finally tried and found innocent. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and a film must be worth a million words.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I think what you are all forgetting is that they were caught with pictures and film of them with children. I really do not think anyone can put up a defense against that no matter what country they are in. Also, none of us knows what goes on behind the scenes and it is possible that the US offered them a choice of pleading guilty or being sent back to the country they committed the acts in to be put on trial and my guess is there would be no trial and just jail in many countries and execution in others. Look at the Philippines where accused soldiers sit 3 years rotting in a jail and then are finally tried and found innocent. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and a film must be worth a million words.
In this case the evidence was with them in their own country so it make no difference where the crime was committed as it would be illegal to possess the images anyway.

Guardian
Posted
Posted
In this case the evidence was with them in their own country so it make no difference where the crime was committed as it would be illegal to possess the images anyway.
Ditto!