Chimney

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, bluegsf said:

Obviously airflow is your best friend here in the form of cool breeze or fans

If you put a vent at each end of the room one high one low that might work as the hot air could go out the top and cooler air in the bottom. But as you say mostly I think it is radiant heat, I have just bought some bamboo blinds for the front of the house so we can sit on the patio between 230 and 5pm, it will also keep the sun off of that part of the house which is the only place we get radiant heat.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

If you put a vent at each end of the room one high one low that might work as the hot air could go out the top and cooler air in the bottom. But as you say mostly I think it is radiant heat, I have just bought some bamboo blinds for the front of the house so we can sit on the patio between 230 and 5pm, it will also keep the sun off of that part of the house which is the only place we get radiant heat.

Did you buy stock bamboo blinds or have some custom made?  We need to do the same for our front veranda and have been talking about it for too long.  Did you consider canvas blinds / sunshades?  I would guess canvas is more expensive and I am not sure which would last longer in the hot afternoon sun.

RobH
Posted
Posted

I bought a house from a British expat who was returning to the UK on health grounds. It has a fireplace with chimney and has a hood over the top of the chimney, we get no bugs, but its as hot as hell in the living room kitchen 10M x 10M. I had 2 of the rotary ventilators fitted to the roof, not the really massive ones, about 16 inches diameter of the vent pipe. This has made a difference to the heat in the living room, I might get a massive one added as it does seem to work just not as well as I would like. wether they would resist a tornado is another matter. The roof is corrugated steel red in colour, and has aluminium bubble wrap on the inside. The walls are 8 inch hollow blocks which do get warm. the loft space is substantially cooler, A ventilator in the living room ceiling would probably work OK but the Chinese ones are all 50 Hz and will burn out quickly on 60 Hz, and I can't seem to find one with a shutter to close off for the air con, and none are big enough diameter.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, RobH said:

I bought a house from a British expat who was returning to the UK on health grounds. It has a fireplace with chimney and has a hood over the top of the chimney, we get no bugs, but its as hot as hell in the living room kitchen 10M x 10M. I had 2 of the rotary ventilators fitted to the roof, not the really massive ones, about 16 inches diameter of the vent pipe. This has made a difference to the heat in the living room, I might get a massive one added as it does seem to work just not as well as I would like. wether they would resist a tornado is another matter. The roof is corrugated steel red in colour, and has aluminium bubble wrap on the inside. The walls are 8 inch hollow blocks which do get warm. the loft space is substantially cooler, A ventilator in the living room ceiling would probably work OK but the Chinese ones are all 50 Hz and will burn out quickly on 60 Hz, and I can't seem to find one with a shutter to close off for the air con, and none are big enough diameter.

Firstly I would paint the roof aluminum or white to reflect the sunshine. Then get some double skinned insulation on the inside of the roof.

Paint the exterior walls a light colour, you should have some shade for the walls if possible.   

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 4/30/2019 at 10:00 AM, OnMyWay said:

Did you buy stock bamboo blinds or have some custom made?  We need to do the same for our front veranda and have been talking about it for too long.  Did you consider canvas blinds / sunshades?  I would guess canvas is more expensive and I am not sure which would last longer in the hot afternoon sun.

I bought them ready made 5ft square 500 pesos each. I just have to fit them now or maybe tomorrow.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
mañana
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

If you have a small house, just put an additional roof, raised a foot or two above the existing one.  Open on all sides.  :smile:

images.jpg

image2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

If you have a small house, just put an additional roof, raised a foot or two above the existing one.  Open on all sides.  :smile:

images.jpg

image2.jpg

Looks amazing 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Admitted, the first one does just lack the petrol pumps. :laugh:

Supposedly very effective though. :smile:

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, graham59 said:

Admitted, the first one does just lack the petrol pumps. :laugh:

Supposedly very effective though. :smile:

I think the first one resembles a work unit , but think of all the space you could have, that is a place I think I would like to call home.

• Like 1