Milk

RBM
Posted
Posted

My SO came back from Cebu with 2 liters milk straight from the cows tummy...Very thick and had the real milk smell. Brought back memories when a kid and visiting realitives farms where we used to drink it fresh.

Anyway being on the safe side Mr Google says heat to 62c and hold for 30 minutes, after cool as rapidly as possible. The SO has been drinking it straight as do the families in this area without side effects how ever my tummy perhaps a little more sensitive. Not sure if they do herd testing here.

One noticeable fact was during my two lattes each am the taste of the milk out weighed the coffee taste...Far different to the usual long life we been using. Lovely to drink a glass...memories...

Any comments on pasteurization be much appreciated as she Intends to bring on a regular basis.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, RBM said:

Anyway being on the safe side Mr Google says heat to 62c and hold for 30 minutes, after cool as rapidly as possible.

I have been told this method a few years ago and cannot find anything to contradict it so it should be ok.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, RBM said:

My SO came back from Cebu with 2 liters milk straight from the cows tummy...Very thick and had the real milk smell. Brought back memories when a kid and visiting realitives farms where we used to drink it fresh.

Anyway being on the safe side Mr Google says heat to 62c and hold for 30 minutes, after cool as rapidly as possible. The SO has been drinking it straight as do the families in this area without side effects how ever my tummy perhaps a little more sensitive. Not sure if they do herd testing here.

One noticeable fact was during my two lattes each am the taste of the milk out weighed the coffee taste...Far different to the usual long life we been using. Lovely to drink a glass...memories...

Any comments on pasteurization be much appreciated as she Intends to bring on a regular basis.

So this is not homogenized and the cream comes to the top?

I used to deliver health foods many years ago, including raw milk.  It tasted great but it went bad really fast.  The health food nuts swore it was far better for you, but the dairy in California, Alta Dena, did have a few shutdowns due to salmonella.  Raw milk is illegal to sell in most states now.

I think it is better for you as it does not have the nutrients boiled, but I don't know if drinking the raw stuff is worth the risk.

We have pasteurized and homogenized fresh milk delivered twice a week here.  Not as good as raw, but far better than all that UHT crap.  We have to drink it with 3-5 days or it starts to go bad.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, RBM said:

My SO came back from Cebu with 2 liters milk straight from the cows tummy

Is that from the dairy in Consolacion?  Or direct from a farm?

With the milk from local dairies, I have never seen the cream rise to the top so I suspect it is separated.  They also sell butter and cheese at the dairy here so that supports my theory.  The butter they sell goes rancid quite quickly and I do not like their cheese.  The milk is great for about 3 days but tastes "off" by the 4th day.  Since I do not use enough milk I prefer the boxed milk that stays fresher longer.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The question is whether you can trust the dairy who provides you with raw milk. Are they doing testing for listeria and salmonella?

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The Philippines being having a high rate of TB woukd also concern me.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, earthdome said:

The question is whether you can trust the dairy who provides you with raw milk

So out of curiosity, I looked at the label of a bottle of milk from our local dairy in Dumaguete (Norient).  The milk is pasteurized and homogenized according to the label.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The milk is pasteurized and homogenized according to the label.

:89: And all these years I thought it was one or the other treatment not Both, well we do live and learn EH? :huh:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Memories from my Youth as a Milkman gave me this, Silver top (Pasteurized) Gold top (Channel Island) Red top (Homiginized) Blue top, (Full cream) and long metal topped ( Sterilized) :whatever: I believe Unigate moved First to carton Milk with the same colour coding Bu...............:tiphat:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: And all these years I thought it was one or the other treatment not Both, well we do live and learn EH? :huh:

Run of the mill supermarket milk here in the UK is both. Pasteurized (sterilized). Homiginized, the fat is distributed throughout the milk so doesn't settle to the top.

• Love it 1