Fishcakes.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I made some fishcakes like the Chinese chip shops do around Bristol. They need a bit more seasoning but my wife has just eaten one and liked it. I made a few onion rings as well.

I used Cream dory, pangusus, potato, and a little dried parsley all mixed together then the pates were frozen before being dipped in batter and deep fried.

SAM_3566.JPG

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I used Cream dory, pangusus

Looks yummy. Never heard of these 2 ingredients. I've tried and failed several times to make onion rings tho. Good for you!:56da64a571a25_7_4_171:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Looks yummy. Never heard of these 2 ingredients. I've tried and failed several times to make onion rings tho. Good for you!:56da64a571a25_7_4_171:

They are the same thing which is catfish. I dipped the damp onions in flour then in the batter mix and in the pan.

• I'm Confused 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

From Wikipedia

Additionally, several species of spinyfin (family Diretmidae, order Beryciformes) have been given the name dory by fishmongers, presumably to make the fish more marketable. In parts of Southeast Asia, fillets of Pangasius sp. catfishes are referred to as cream dory, Pangasius dory or Pacific dory.

Dory imported from Asia used to be marketed and sold in the USA as "catfish".  There was a lawsuit filed by the folks that raised and sold catfish so it is now imported and sold as "cream dory" in the USA.  The meat is white, flakes easily when cooked, and the filets are basically bone free.  Has a light and delicate flavor, moist when properly cooked.   I like to use dory when I cook fish and chips.  My filipina wife does not like dory, she says "it does not have enough fish taste".   

• Like 2