So tired of my wife's relatives.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Of course, I wouldn't loan again either.

But the real question is would I (or you) help that family member in an emergency if money was outstanding (and why or why not?).

I faced exactly that question more recently when the exact same uncle who loaned money and didn't repay it ended up needing emergency hospital care.

After some long talks between SWMBO and me we sent an amount that would help with but not pay the hospital bill.  As SWMBO said there are other family members too and we shouldn't have to pay the entire amount. 

I struggled with this question for a couple of days but I didn't want to create bad feelings between family members (or trouble for SWMBO) and eventually decided that to me it was worth at least some money to avoid that.

You might avoid this situation or just decide upon a blanket rule of once bitten twice shy (and I get that) but it can have other consequences in a place like the Philippines.

Thats the problem if you have a heart and a kind person some folk will feed of that and rob you until you have nothing , I cannot understand to this day why family members cannot come together and share the cost of helping each other, but they just don’t seem to want to do that.

• Like 4

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I think this is one of the wisest pieces of advice in the entire thread.

Earlier in the thread I said that I'd been lucky and that most of SWMBOs relatives weren't a problem (and that's true).

But we too got caught out by one uncle to whom we 'loaned' money (and it wasn't a small amount either).

Now days we only send what we can afford and we send it as gifts or help not as loans and that works out better in my experience.

This is important, send what YOU can afford, NOT what they need and send it is a gift because the chance you will get it back is small.

We also had problems with the family stealing and lying, no big things, but enough to not trust them anymore when it comes to money.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

My folks know not to ask.  End of story. 

We get along fine. :smile:

• Like 5

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

My folks know not to ask.  End of story. 

We get along fine. :smile:

That's pretty much the way we handle things also.  My wife learned long ago not to loan money to relatives and if they ask we say no.

We will give an occasional gift and that's about it.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

It's amazing how they could understand your jokes with a British accent.  I would need a program with voice algorithms to decipher your Welch, Irish, Scottish or London English.  

Anyway, well done blending in with the locals.  You know they are your body guards as well.  

I have same problems with my North-West British accent, not just the locals but my Russian guest and the boys from across the pond. I need a translator for the Scots. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

I have same problems with my North-West British accent, not just the locals but my Russian guest and the boys from across the pond. I need a translator for the Scots. :whistling:

Sorry, can you say that again more slowly Jim? :hystery:

• Haha 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

My comedy is visual... more Benny Hill... or Mr. Bean.    :laugh:

• Like 2