Rats

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I have tried the rat traps without success, so any ideas on how to kill rats that are getting up into the ceiling and chewing on everything up there would be appreciated.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We used to hear rats in the attic almost every night.  We now have two cats and we just don't hear them anymore.  Maybe they moved on to safer territory?  You can also use rat poison.  Use the one that causes the rat to get thirsty, that way they go to find water and die instead of dying in the attic.

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

We used to hear rats in the attic almost every night.  We now have two cats and we just don't hear them anymore.  Maybe they moved on to safer territory?  You can also use rat poison.  Use the one that causes the rat to get thirsty, that way they go to find water and die instead of dying in the attic.

Same here, soon as we hear a rat we place a cat in the ceiling, probably  smaller than the rat....What ever it works, amazing g how much noise a rat can generate.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

You need to keep a pet snake, rats natural predator.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We don't really have pet cats, but we look after a couple of the local street cats and they frequently leave the bodies of rats in the car port - clearly to show they are earning their keep.  Anyway, main point is get a cat to manage the rat problem IMO. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Just stick one of your sound system speakers up there, with AC/DC or Black Sabbath playing at no.11 . 

They have very sensitive hearing.       Oh... and POISON !

rat gif foot tap.gif

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks for replies people, I would have liked to get a couple of cats in but we have already trained the dogs to catch the feral cats that were destroying the bird life around the property, looks as though poison is the go.

After googling what rats like to eat, which came up with a reply of bacon, chocolate and a few other things I am wondering how to lay the poison out.

Cheers

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I am wondering how to lay the poison out.

When I had that problem, I purchased rat bait and put it in the attic crawl space.

I simply opened the hatch leading to the attic and placed the poisoned bait within arm's length.  No muss, no fuss, rats gone within the week, repeat every 6 months for best effect.  Such was my experience when living in a rural area with a moderate amount of rats and other wildlife.

Rat bait.jpg

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Dave, can that product be purchased in the Philippines?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Dave, disregard that question just found it on Lazada.

Cheers