Can we really Save the Planet

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

If there are people that still deny it, they are blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other.

Yeah, the ash from volcanoes gets in my eye.  Can we put a lid on that?  Wait a minute, scientists say volcanic ash causes global cooling.  So we should be OK then

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

Beside that, I am very pessimistic that the world will unite and fix this (if it can be fixed?). Sorry, but that is how I feel.

Being Realistic gets me into trouble sometimes....so no need to apologise :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

The tipping point happened long ago. I won't experience the consequences, but your children and mine will.

Well that's at least two people living on the same planet! :tiphat:

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Climate change is cyclical , 7000 years ago the UK was joined to the European main land ,this was known as the land bridge , the ice melted ,turned the Danube into the English channel and flooded over the land bridge .

I do accept that man has had a negative impact on the climate , our pollution has accelerated the planet becoming warmer 

As the sea level rises ,at some point this will cause social unrest on a scale we have not witnessed 

Can we reverse it ? I dont think we can  we could probably slow the warming up process down  but I dont think we can reverse the damage 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Sea levels have been far higher than today and that's without our help. We may have effected the rate of change but I don't think we can control the change, it's going to happen anyway.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

Sea levels have been far higher than today and that's without our help. We may have effected the rate of change but I don't think we can control the change, it's going to happen anyway.

I don't think we can 'stop' the change but we still have a chance to 'alter how large' the change is... that doesn't sound like much but the difference between 2C of (averaged) warming and 4C will make a huge difference when it comes to the severity and incedences of extreme weather events and the reduction in arable land (and hence global food supplies).  4C would see huge areas of currently productive farm lands become dust bowls or deserts and fires like the recent Australian ones would become our 'normal summer' (and not just in Australia but also in other dryer countries).  Typhoons would increase in number and be more severe causing damage in tropical countries (basically the rain would move out of the middle latitudes.

Some countries could potentially get some benefits... Russia, Canada and the northern European countries would see an decrease in ice and snow falls and permafrost which could eventually lead to an increase in usable land.  Russia have contingency plans for Siberia allowing for Global Warming for example.

But most of us are too old to see anything other than the start of the effects (and that's already happening at 1C of warming).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with most of the statements above. Climate change occurs whether because us humans are here or not.

However, I believe that we are accelerating warming due to the release of hundreds of thousands or millions of years of carbon from the ground - oil, coal, natural gas...(that does not even include what is released from burning the Amazon forests). It is well documented that the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has increased hugely since the advent of industrialization 150 or so years ago. (Try reading the book, "The Carbon Age"...I forget the name of the journalist author).

Whether that, alone, is an issue or not, the toxic gasses we release can not be good in general. I think even the doubters might agree with that. Go to Sudbury, Ontario, or Gary, Indiana if you want to witness some of the most obvious first hand. Additionally, every tail pipe from every one of the millions of cars and motorcycles emits its share of CO2.

So, as I stated before, I have a personal goal to try to reverse the impact of my life here - and as many others as possible - by promoting planting trees... It is simple, natural, not too expensive and makes for an improved environment no matter where one lives.

I believe everyone would benefit by being reasonable about this. I do not advocate government or UN control of our lives or ways of living - as already mentioned, that is not a solution but more economics and political control of people, in my opinion. But I think that we, as individuals, might be able to make a difference. If not, well... I am also too old to witness whatever the future may bring and I have no kids to see it either. Good luck to future generations...

Here's a link to an article I just read online:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/weather-shows-evidence-of-climate-change-every-single-day-since-2012/ar-BBZ1Phj?li=BBnb4R7

Also, read this article if you doubt what humanity has inflicted upon this earth and ourselves:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/massive-oil-refinery-leaks-toxic-chemical-in-the-middle-of-philadelphia/ar-BBZ1RYi?li=BBnbcA1

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Climate change is cyclical , 7000 years ago the UK was joined to the European main land ,this was known as the land bridge , the ice melted ,turned the Danube into the English channel and flooded over the land bridge .

I do accept that man has had a negative impact on the climate , our pollution has accelerated the planet becoming warmer 

As the sea level rises ,at some point this will cause social unrest on a scale we have not witnessed 

Can we reverse it ? I dont think we can  we could probably slow the warming up process down  but I dont think we can reverse the damage 

Britain since the last ice age 10,000 years ago, Scotland is rising and southeast England is sinking. That confirms England and Europe where indeed connected 7,000 years ago. 

Southeast England is still sinking.   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5803855/Interactive-map-reveals-Britain-looked-like-ice-age.html

Edited by jimeve
attaching link

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Southeast England is still sinking

Well that is because of Boris :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::hystery:

• Haha 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well that is because of Boris :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::hystery:

and Brexit

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yeah, the ash from volcanoes gets in my eye.  Can we put a lid on that?  Wait a minute, scientists say volcanic ash causes global cooling.  So we should be OK then

There always has to be a smart ass in the crowd.:AddEmoticons04230: