Can we really Save the Planet

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2019 at 11:29 PM, Jake said:

Excellent conversational starter Kuya John.  The future for our children and grandchildren is bleak, to say the least.   

In my own morbid way, I wish that Mother Nature will blow a fuse and teach us, the modern Man to once again respect her.  I believe it will get worse, before it gets any better.  

Respectfully Jake                                 

With the response from most world leaders being to stick their collective heads in the sand, failing to agree on even the most basic of measures to even begin to seriously address the problem, I fear Jake, that you are only half right......... your belief that it will get worse........... it may well be too late for the 'before it gets any better' part.

Even today I hear on the news, with out of control fires nudging the outskirts of Sydney, the Australian PM is casting doubt on the link between the fires and global warming! If I were Australian I think I would start a crowd funding page to pay for his ticket to resume his (hopefully indefinite) vacation in Hawaii! 

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've seen the effects of climate change here in Big Wonderful Wyoming in the American West. For several years Winters were not getting cold enough to kill Bark Beetles so large swathes of forest were killed. Until 10 years ago there had never been a tornado in the county I was living in, because of the altitude. It's more difficult for tornadoes to form if the air is thinner. Since the air has been getting slightly warmer there have been 3 tornadoes (in the last 10 years).

There is more. I could go on, but have other things to do now.

There have been widely scattered reports of coral bleaching in the area of Bohol where my house is. If coral bleaching ever becomes widespread there I am well and truly screwed, since the great snorkeling is half the reason I want to live there.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Guy F. said:

IThere have been widely scattered reports of coral bleaching in the area of Bohol where my house is. 

Coral bleaching has effected more than 50% of the Great Barrier Reef off Australia's east coast.

To add some information about the effects of climate change, ie increased severity of fires I think that these pictures might help to put the recent mega fires in Australia in perspective.

NB -: NSW is about 15% bigger than Texas, the ACT is about the size of Rhode Island and the area that the fires had burnt as of the 19th of December was roughly the size of the state of Maryland (for UK people that's 50% more than Wales).

fires.JPG

Fires 2.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
add picture
  • Sad 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

To add some information about the effects of climate change, ie increased severity of fires I think that these pictures might help to put the recent mega fires in Australia in perspective.

Great documentation, Geoff, for a very sad story.

As a friend of mine said to me yesterday: "We need to look at this next year with 2020 vision." and the future beyond....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Good grief I can't believe so many of you guys have fallen for this climate change bullsh*t.  Honestly its embarrassing.  Wake up, people.   

• Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Good grief I can't believe so many of you guys have fallen for this climate change bullsh*t.  Honestly its embarrassing.  Wake up, people.   

The climate is changing, there's no doubt, it's fluid and constanly moving. Are we effecting it, maybe. It's not the hottest yet that it's ever been in history,  fossils in cliffs show that sea level have been much higher than today. Are we kidding ourselves we have any control over it.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

The climate is changing, there's no doubt, it's fluid and constanly moving. Are we effecting it, maybe. It's not the hottest yet that it's ever been in history,  fossils in cliffs show that sea level have been much higher than today. Are we kidding ourselves we have any control over it.

I agree with you, but I am also pretty sure that human impact does NOT improve the situation for the Earth. 

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2019 at 9:32 AM, Marvin Boggs said:

A President supporter has spoken. Facts are not true in their world.:16:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Viking said:

I agree with you, but I am also pretty sure that human impact does NOT improve the situation for the Earth. 

With the amount of plastics that we daily pollute the ocean with, humans will evolve into something very different than what we are now. It's inevitable.:punch_80_anim_gif: 

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Until 10 years ago there had never been a tornado in the county I was living in, because of the altitude. It's more difficult for tornadoes to form if the air is thinner. Since the air has been getting slightly warmer there have been 3 tornadoes (in the last 10 years).

Now for some more news...... UK weather: Tornado damages homes and cars in Surrey

• Like 1