You know you have been in the Philippines too long when

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, JJReyes said:

My wife and I requested a tour of the Brigham Young University campus in Utah.  By chance, the girl who took us around spoke excellent Tagalog.  She had known ahead of time her missionary work, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints, would be in the Philippines.  So she studied hard learning the language.  The only mishap was they sent her to Cebu, but they quickly corrected it and she was reassigned to Luzon.

And how does this relate to the topic of this thread? :89:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

32 minutes ago, Viking said:

And how does this relate to the topic of this thread? :89:

Absolutely nothing.  It's commentary in reaction to the earlier posting under this topic that included a video showing two guys speaking in Tagalog.  Their conversation mentions learning the language during a mission, possibly in reference to a religious mission.  Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are required to serve as missionaries.  Part of the preparation includes learning a foreign language.  I recall years ago someone used the word "hijacking" when a topic takes a different path.  The moderator may be able to provide a better explanation. 

We can also rationalize it by completing the phrase,  "You know you have been in the Philippines too long....when you hear foreigners speaking in Tagalog."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Absolutely nothing.  It's commentary in reaction to the earlier posting under this topic that included a video showing two guys speaking in Tagalog.  Their conversation mentions learning the language during a mission, possibly in reference to a religious mission.  Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are required to serve as missionaries.  Part of the preparation includes learning a foreign language.  I recall years ago someone used the word "hijacking" when a topic takes a different path.  The moderator may be able to provide a better explanation. 

We can also rationalize it by completing the phrase,  "You know you have been in the Philippines too long....when you hear foreigners speaking in Tagalog."

JJ, not to be argumentative but where in the Philippines is Utah? 😂

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

This is starting to look like an inferior forum where people look for a reason to argue instead of enjoy the comments!

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, RubberChicken said:

This is starting to look like an inferior forum where people look for a reason to argue instead of enjoy the comments!

Agree.  I have been with this forum nearly 8 years.  Maybe it Is time to withdraw for awhile.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Kuya M
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, nor cal mike said:

JJ, not to be argumentative but where in the Philippines is Utah? 😂

m2.JPG
m1.JPG

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Back on topic.

When you have visitors over you expect them to be able to open the gate, but also expect them to leave it open even when they know you have two small dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

You know you have been in the Philippines too long when you no longer need one of these masks in order to breathe.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):You know you have been here too long when you come to realize that most of the Moaning members that moan about Expat Forums and the content do NOT live here to suffer the Day to Day Rituals so I will just leave these here!    Moaners corner cafe.jpg valued.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
Spelling would you believe
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1