Tourist dies of rabies

jimeve
Posted
Posted

How many locals die because of Rabies who can't afford the rabies shots? My rant about stray dogs being culled!

Howard
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

It wasn't that much was it? Maybe 8k? Not that much for peace of mind!:89:

It was about 3 years ago but I think that's about in the ballpark, I know I wasn't happy about the cost! I never got the last shot because they said that if I saw that the cat was still alive when it was time for the last one then it was unnecessary. This cat basically lived in the apartment building so I saw it a lot. It bit another foreigner that lived in the building about a year later when he was trying to break up a cat fight between his cat and that one. He didn't get the shots and I believe he's still alive but I wasn't taking that risk as the cat was known to catch and eat rats in the building.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jimeve said:

How many locals die because of Rabies who can't afford the rabies shots? My rant about stray dogs being culled!

Having the dog or cat injected is often free but the locals often don't know or don't bother.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

It's a sad reminder that when going to a foreign country to adhere to their medical immunisation recommendations. I personally went and saw a PI doctor and Rabies immunisation was on the top of his list. Cost a lot, but it's worth it compared to the altenitve if you get infected. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, jimeve said:

How many locals die because of Rabies

SEPTEMBER 15, 2018

Rabies cases surge, pose public health threat (Manila Times article)

. . . .  (see article) . . .
For deaths caused by rabies, the research paper said: “Despite the substantial increase in the provision of PEP across the Philippines in recent years, the number of deaths due to rabies nationally has only fallen slightly from 306 in 2008 to 260 in 2016.
 . . . (for more see article) . . .

The answer is 260 in 2016.  I cannot find more recent stats.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The answer is 260 in 2016.  I cannot find more recent stats.

It says... Philippines kept increasing, peaking at 1.085 million in 2016, based on figures from the research paper “The evaluation of operating Animal Bite Treatment Centers in the Philippines from a health provider perspective” posted online on July 12, 2018.|

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Anyone know how much the shots cost in the Philippines. Here in the UK they are 3 shots at about £55 (3700 peso) so £165 or 11k

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

shots cost

if memory serves about 5 years ago I paid 2k peso per injection 

Gary D
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, scott h said:

if memory serves about 5 years ago I paid 2k peso per injection 

So could be a good saving to wait until I get the the Philippines.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If I were to receive a potentially lifesaving vaccine it would be from a trusted health care provider. The extra $50 bucks is worth it to me.

• Like 1