Baffled by a Rotary Phone

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My mother-in-law invited the family to visit Japan to meet distant relatives and for a family "trip of a lifetime."  At a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn), her grandchildren were gathered around the reception area.  They had seen photographs of rotary phones, but never one in person before.  The inn was over a hundred years old.  The proprietress explained the phone works, so why change it?  Most interesting, there was only one bathhouse.  Sign changes indicating the time for men or women.  We had to learned the Japanese character for "men" and "women."

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

How is pushing a button compared to turning a dial so different as to be baffling? 

• Hmm thinking 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Great video, I have problems with my mobile , either my fingers are getter fatter or my eyes are getting worst or the numbers and letters are getting smaller and predicted texting , well I can’t understand what I supposed to have sent half the time.

• Like 1

Foreigner
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

How is pushing a button compared to turning a dial so different as to be baffling? 

I sort of had the opposite experience when I saw (and used) a touch tone phone for the very first time at the New York World's Fair in 1965.  Actually, I was more amazed than baffled, and I found it very easy to use.  I guess that older tech is harder to understand than the newer tech.  For example, I'd be almost helpless with using a DOS computer at this point of my life.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Sort of related to the OP.  When my wife sees people here picking their nose she says "they are dialing the Philippines".  :hystery:  

• Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 5/12/2019 at 1:40 AM, JJReyes said:

We had to learned the Japanese character for "men" and "women."

No good me going back to Japan, to old to bother learning foreign words, I'd just have to take," come what mays" and be in the proverbial yet again. :hystery:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Actually, I was more amazed than baffled...

My point exactly!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Find a manual typewriter and try using it. After getting used to a soft touch keyboard, none of us have the strength in our fingers to use one.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Find a manual typewriter and try using it. After getting used to a soft touch keyboard, none of us have the strength in our fingers to use one.

God bless the Filipinos since they still have the strength to use those old manual typewriters.  Plus, they have the know-how to keep them in good working condition.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
sp