Little Miss Universe 2019 from Moalboal

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't have a strong view on this, I really don't think it is particularly harmful compared to any type of competition.  Here, as had been mentioned before, any kind of talent is nurtured and exploded - hence the disproportionate number of Filipinas/Filipinos who take part in the countless talent shows on TV etc.  A chance to escape poverty?  

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

You won't see many poor girls winning or even entered in these Philippines pageants.

They cost money. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, graham59 said:

You won't see many poor girls winning or even entered in these Philippines pageants.

They cost money. 

local politicians sponsor them and normally want something in return. 

My wife used to do them, they were all trying to ?????? her by the time she was 13-14, lucky she's so mouthy or she'd of probably got raped. Her daughter is nearly 20 and still not allowed to do any lol.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I can see both camps, yes a very pretty young girl , and like you say why the bed and off the shoulder dress, the beauty should be the girl not what they think people should like to see ie the bed and the pose, there is beauty in everyone if you get the right pose, I wish her well, I am sure there will be people around her paying for all this but what are these people expecting in return , just my own thoughts said loudly .

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, graham59 said:

They cost money. 

I think at the very lowest levels poor girls are in them, especially younger girls.  After that, too much money.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Some relations in our family have daughters and they push her , in my eyes it does not seem right , but it’s been going on for ages it makes lots of money for the organisation and they may get there picture on a banner plus a few hundred peso, but it’s the parents who shine out the more, ‘ look at our daughter,’ we love you so much .

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

A junior beauty contest in Australia with that a publicity photo of the winner on a bed like that would no doubt cause controversy because the photo would be regarded as age inappropriate in Australia but it's the Philippines, many things are regarded and done differently to the ways they are in 1st world western countries.  

Does that mean I'd let my daughter pose like that?  At age 13... like that?  Hell no.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm surprised there's not a lot of underage pregnancies and young single parents with the Filipino attitude to sex and sexuality here. :whistling::whistling:

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm surprised there's not a lot of underage pregnancies and young single parents with the Filipino attitude to sex and sexuality here.

Me too.  So surprised I looked up a list of the world's youngest mothers on Wiki.  Most countries of the world are represented but considering the population and reputation of the Philippines, I thought they would have many more representatives on this list than I see.  Here, have a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_birth_mothers

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A pre-teen beauty pageant and the winner is 13 years old.  Somehow the numbers don't add up.

Beauty pageants and talent shows in most Western countries are local events.  They no longer generate broad media coverage unless the winner was already pregnant during the contest or confesses to a lesbian affair.  In countries like the Philippines, it is a national pastime bordering on obsession.  The only thing interesting about this story was how they pose the winner -- in a bed wearing inappropriate clothes for her age with one sleeve down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1