Well I Hope the president reads this, might make him think about things.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, expatuk2014 said:

I agree with graham59 no go areas with sharia patrols , more mosques than churches in certain areas.

Muslim schools, the UK within 5-10 years will have a muslim majority population.

Personally i will never go back to the UK !

:shake_80_anim_gif: PLEASE don't let's go any further :lipssealed_80_anim_gif: If you all want to go Political go piss somewhere else OK?  :71161:

• Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Non-citizens cannot vote in the UK either.  You need to be a citizen to vote in the UK  so I can only assume you must also be a citizen to run for office?   He may be called a Filipino mayor, but that does not mean a non-citizen call hold office.   Like Jack,  I do want this to escalate, but at least in terms of voting and holding local office I do not see much difference between UK and the Philippines.   My opinion of course and based on limited research. 

<snip>

To vote at the UK general election you must be registered to vote and:

18 years of age or over on polling day
be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
be resident at an address in the UK (or a UK citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)
not be legally excluded from voting

<snip>

You can vote and hold local office if you are a naturalized Philippine citizen

<snip>

1. Who are Naturalized Citizens? Naturalized citizens those are clothed by law with the rights and privileges accorded to a citizen of the Philippines, as well as bound by their duties to the State. In other words, they are also Filipinos. Thus they can vote during elections, acquire real property, and engage in business, among others. They must likewise observe loyalty to the Philippines, pay their taxes, and obey the laws and duly constituted authorities of the land. However, they cannot be elected President or Vice-President, or member of the Congress, or appointed justice of the Supreme Court or lower collegiate courts, or member of any of the Constitutional Commissions, or Ombudsman or his Deputy, or member of the Central Monetary Agency. These are among the restrictions to a naturalized citizen which are reserved only to a natural born citizen, who is by birth and heart a Filipino.

<end snip>

Yes but how much easier is it for a filipina, to work, get permanent residence status and citizenship. In the original posters country than Ph. Has anyone ever saw or heard of a foreigner ever getting a citizenship and holding any political office in the Philippines?

Edited by canadamale
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

'Politics' affects  every aspect our lives. 

Trying to hide or ignore it is ridiculous. 

Just saying...

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

I agree with graham59 no go areas with sharia patrols , more mosques than churches in certain areas.

Muslim schools, the UK within 5-10 years will have a muslim majority population.

Personally i will never go back to the UK !

What's a sharia patrol and should I worry if I see one.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Please let’s all keep this on topic?

I am not calling you out Gary, it’s for all the off topic comment’s.

Thanks!😇🌈🏝

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jack, the president of Philippines could care less about any Foreigners in or outside Philippines. The exception being Chinese who paid him off.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

The exception being Chinese who paid him off.

Now that's Political......:whistling:

Hands up who would really like to be Government official and target practice for everyone with a grievance.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Now that's Political......:whistling:

Hands up who would really like to be Government official and target practice for everyone with a grievance.

Yep, 😇

Notice the irony of my asking for on topic discussion? I’m usually the one who first goes off topic. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, canadamale said:

Yes but how much easier is it for a filipina, to work, get permanent residence status and citizenship. In the original posters country than Ph. Has anyone ever saw or heard of a foreigner ever getting a citizenship and holding any political office in the Philippines?

Philippines versus UK work, perm residence, citizenship

Work - Both require a confirmed offer of employment and valid passport.

Perm Residence - Philippines SRRV or 13A VISA , UK Five years residence

Citizenship - UK five years residence or 3 years if married to a UK citizen.  Philippines 10 years residence or 5 years if married to a Filipino citizen.

So not a great deal of difference other than the additional 5 years required if not married.  I am not aware of any foreigner who has gained citizenship and then gone on to hold a political office.  But yes, it can be done.   

Canada does things their way, the UK does things their way, the USA does things their way, Australia does things their way, and the Philippines does things their way.  Who is to say what is best or what is fair?

• Like 2