Some Foreigners are treated well in the Philippines

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

We often complain about how the Philippines treats foreigners in the worse possible way.  However, in certain situations, the Philippines will do things to help out foreigners when no one else in the world will lend a helping hand.

Please add any stories to this thread about the often unnoticed humanitarian aid given to foreigners, as well as any acts of kindness shown by Filipinos to foreigners.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
  On 5/17/2019 at 7:00 PM, Mark Berkowitz said:

Yes, in most cases this is true, except during the Holocaust of WWII, when the Philippines saved the lives of 1,200 Jews from Nazi exterminations. 

I am adding this as a historical note for Mark Berkowitz, not political commentary.

My boyhood recollection is there was a Jewish Synagogue on Taft Avenue.  I looked for it several years ago while driving around, but no luck.  One member of the congregation was a classmate at La Salle whose name was Mark Rottenberg.  He told us, during a visit to the property, that several of the older members were refugees from Germany.  While most of the 1,200 Jews with Philippine visas eventually left for Israel and the United States (they were not welcomed before WWII), a few apparently stayed behind.  Either Mark's father or uncle was the Rabbi.  The family lived within the compound.

Another large refugee group were the Vietnamese boat people.  No one wanted them.  The Philippines volunteered establishing a refugee camp provided the United States government paid for everything and promised to eventually relocate them.  One of my son's classmates at Denver University spent several years as a child at this camp before the family was relocated to Colorado. 

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
  On 5/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, JJReyes said:

I am adding this as a historical note for Mark Berkowitz, not political commentary.

My boyhood recollection is there was a Jewish Synagogue on Taft Avenue.  I looked for it several years ago while driving around, but no luck.  One member of the congregation was a classmate at La Salle whose name was Mark Rottenberg.  He told us, during a visit to the property, that several of the older members were refugees from Germany.  While most of the 1,200 Jews with Philippine visas eventually left for Israel and the United States (they were not welcomed before WWII), a few apparently stayed behind.  Either Mark's father or uncle was the Rabbi.  The family lived within the compound.

Another large refugee group were the Vietnamese boat people.  No one wanted them.  The Philippines volunteered establishing a refugee camp provided the United States government paid for everything and promised to eventually relocate them.  One of my son's classmates at Denver University spent several years as a child at this camp before the family was relocated to Colorado. 

Thank you!  I appreciate this post, since it proves that the Philippines really does have a humanistic approach towards helping foreigners in need of assylum.  As far as Vietnamese boat people, I've met a few in the States, and they spoke well of their treatment in the Philippines.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
  On 5/18/2019 at 9:26 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

Thank you!  I appreciate this post, since it proves that the Philippines really does have a humanistic approach towards helping foreigners in need of assylum.  As far as Vietnamese boat people, I've met a few in the States, and they spoke well of their treatment in the Philippines.

You are welcome.  When the partitioning of Palestine came up before the United Nations for a vote, the Philippines lobbied for the creation of the State of Israel.  No one could predict the outcome.  Ambassador Romulo's "Yes." gave the vote to those who favored a Jewish homeland.  

Israel has maintained an excellent relationship with the Philippines.  You don't need a visa for a visit with a Philippine passport.  (Maybe this has changed.)  90% of 10,000 annual visas for caregiver services is issued in the Philippines.  The estimate is 30,000 TNTs or illegal overstaying caregivers.  The security forces don't seem to care.  "Why are you worried?  They are here to provide homecare for our parents and/or grandparents."  

•  
  • Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

The moderators may want to move this discussion on refugees in the Philippines to a separate topic.

I decided to do additional research. Apparently, there was once a White Russian community numbering more than 6,000. They were supporters of the monarchy who had fled to China through Siberia during the Russian Revolution. They had settled around Shanghai. The policy of the advancing Red Army in 1948 was to send them back to the border where they were shot by the Russian Communists as traitors. The Shanghai community asked for help from the International Refugee Organization who encountered difficulties finding a host country. The only one who said, "Yes." was the Philippines under then President Quirino. Years later they were repatriated to the United States, Australia, Paraguay, France, etc.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

JJ, thank you so much for your research into the positive side of the Philippines,  an aspect that is all too often overlooked.  Most expats are (or were) unaware of the humanitarian efforts taken by the Philippines to offer hope to the hopeless--i.e., the Philippines helped so many people who no one else ever wanted to help. 

With all of the talk of the negative things, it really helps to see the positive side of things!

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

There was a case of a refugee who was granted citizenship after residing in the Philippines for many years. The precedent setting case involved an Iranian who fled after the revolution. He eventually married, had children and opened a small shop selling Middle East food. The petition went all the way to the Philippine Supreme Court. The petition was approved, and as part of the process, established the criteria for citizenship because Philippine Supreme Court decisions are considered new law by the lower courts. I can't remember all the requirements. The important one was economic independence. Having an established a business providing employment for himself, family and others meant the petitioner was unlikely to become a ward of the state. With the new guidelines, the lower courts could then approve other petitions. Most seem to be from Muslim countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Most seem to be from Muslim countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Well there is a surprise :whistling:

• Hmm thinking 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

There was a case of a refugee who was granted citizenship after residing in the Philippines for many years. The precedent setting case involved an Iranian who fled after the revolution. He eventually married, had children and opened a small shop selling Middle East food. The petition went all the way to the Philippine Supreme Court. The petition was approved, and as part of the process, established the criteria for citizenship because Philippine Supreme Court decisions are considered new law by the lower courts. I can't remember all the requirements. The important one was economic independence. Having an established a business providing employment for himself, family and others meant the petitioner was unlikely to become a ward of the state. With the new guidelines, the lower courts could then approve other petitions. Most seem to be from Muslim countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Unless I am misunderstanding this seems to go against what I thought was that a non resident could not fully own a business.  Maybe it was his wife's business and they credited him?  :89:Of course like many things here, the court may also make they own requirements I suppose.  All in all it seems like a fair and good idea which if still in effect should benefit others.:tiphat:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

All in all it seems like a fair and good idea which if still in effect should benefit others.:tiphat:

Some Foreigners are treated well in the Philippines, is the Title ,Yes but like so many other things there is no 1 size fits all and that is a shame :wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
rearranged a little for clarity
  • Like 1