Big Tobacco Is At It Again

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

As an ex-smoker, vaping has really helped me quit, and I no longer smoke or vape (since I completely quit 5 years ago).

However, during my return to the States, I am seing that Big Tobacco is at it again, since there's a loophole in the law re: Television Advertisements in the USA, which only forbids cigarette ads (and not vaping ads).

The true safety of using vape/e-cigarettes (instead of smokable cigarettes) is debatable since there has not been nearly enough research into its long term effects, but existing studies have already shown that vaping nicotine is more addictive than smoking nicotine, and there are numerous health hazards associated with nicotine, including: 

•  Increased risk of cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal disorders. There is decreased immune response and it also poses ill impacts on the reproductive health.
  •  It affects the cell proliferation, oxidative stress, apoptosis, DNA mutation by various mechanisms which leads to cancer.
  •  It also affects the tumor proliferation and metastasis and causes resistance to chemo and radio therapeutic agents.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363846/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/opinion/editorials/vaping-ecigarettes-nicotine-safe.html

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Sucking smoke into your lunges, where can be the harm in that.:89:

• Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Sucking smoke into your lunges, where can be the harm in that

Depends on the smoke.  In Canada they recently decided sucking certain kinds of smoke into your lungs can be prescribed for medicinal purposes.

• Hmm thinking 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

The actual harm is well known with smoking, but the Big tobacco companies are now promoting vape as a safe alternative on American TV.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Ive worked at a research facility located at Cambridge England ,it was full of geniuses from the university. 

Their task was to genetically modify the tobacco plant to make it safer , they were graduallu reducing the harmfull chemicals 

The two big tabbaco companies were both involved in the research ,at the time i worked there, i was one of the first vapers that they had encountered ,they told me that one of the things being researched was heating up the tobacco to the point where it did not combust and that was the target , to produce less harmfull ways to consume tobacco

Acording to those scientists ,the smoke was the big killer with over 3000 chemicals in it and about 250 of those are carcinogenic

Its not just the nicotine thats addictive ,they admited that there were more addictive chemicals in tobacco smoke , they would not tell me which ones 

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

The problem, as I see it, is that burning tobacco for smoking purposes has been around for hundreds of years, and it took tons of proof from scientists and pressure from the public (and politicians) to make the BIG tobacco companies remove advertisements from TV and other medias BECAUSE it was (and still is) a public health menace.

However, the very same BIG tobacco companies, such a RJ Reynolds (a subsiduary of the British-American Tobacco Company) are taking advantage of a loophole in the law to promote vaping as a safer way to smoke cigarettes, even though there is no conclusive evidence to support their agenda.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
sp (again)
  • Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In Canada they recently decided sucking certain kinds of smoke into your lungs can be prescribed for medicinal purposes.

Cannabis?

• Haha 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 5/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, Mark Berkowitz said:

loophole in the law to promote vaping as a safer way to smoke cigarettes

Vaping is not smoking and does not use any tobacco. Vaping is a nicotine delivery system that mimics the effect of smoking tobacco. There may well be health risks to vaping, nicotine is addictive and effect's your heart, but vaping does appear to be a great deal less harmful than smoking tobacco. FYI, I quit smoking almost 5 years ago and prior to that did try some of the early vaping products.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Vaping is not smoking and does not use any tobacco.

Agreed, but there have been no long term studies (as of yet) to determine what health risks (if any) exist for vaping.  However, since it is not a traditional tobacco/cigarette product, the laws allow vaping to be advertised as a safer (and more modern) alternative to smoking tobacco.  This reminds me , all too much, of all of the past big tobacco lies about how cigarettes are safe and non-addictive.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

My business sells vapes. Any link for the study showing vaping nicotine is more addictive than smoking it? Pretty sure it's the opposite if anything. There was a study a while ago from NZ where rats were given a choice of picking either a nicotine dose or a dose of smoke from a cigarette with no nicotine in and they kept choosing the smoke. There's other chemicals that are addictive in cigs other than just nicotine.

Still need more studies on vaping but it's quite apparent it's a lot safer than smoking now, it's been popular for about 10 years already.