Decisions, decisions....where to live

Chazrob0914
Posted
Posted

Just finished a 3 week trip to PI with most of the time spent in QC.  Based on that time, I know I do NOT want to live there long term. The traffic, smog and lack of green space is just too much.  I am looking for something a bit quieter, cleaner and more peaceful, but not so far in the provinces where it lacks good shopping, entertainment, medical care and of course, internet.  

I know this question comes up on the forum, but I will throw it out again...any ideas from members based on where they live?  I am thinking maybe Tagaytay?  

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Chazrob0914 said:

Just finished a 3 week trip to PI with most of the time spent in QC.  Based on that time, I know I do NOT want to live there long term. The traffic, smog and lack of green space is just too much.  I am looking for something a bit quieter, cleaner and more peaceful, but not so far in the provinces where it lacks good shopping, entertainment, medical care and of course, internet.  

I know this question comes up on the forum, but I will throw it out again...any ideas from members based on where they live?  I am thinking maybe Tagaytay?  

Thanks.

Tagaytay is good. So is Baguio.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

We live in the Los Banos area, its a nice university town, hate Manila only go there every 5yrs to renew ACR card ! For Mall shopping we use Calamba and Santa Rosa and Nuvali !

Nuvali is a nice quiet place many places to shop and eat its expanding though .

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lou49 said:

I am thinking maybe Tagaytay?  

Not a bad choice although lacking some of the things you mentioned.

I don't recall  Medical facilities but then again I wasn't looking for any and no big shopping malls.( which for me is a bonus :whistling:)

There is certainly plenty of choices in larger communities, no doubt you will have some more recommendations from forum members, especially some distance from in-laws, in some cases :smile:

Edited by Kuya John
paragraphing
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Chazrob0914 said:

Thanks.

I drive from Cavite to Tagaytay  about once a year because my GF. loves the buko pies at a certain place there. It's about an hour and a half drive depending on how many Fiestas and funeral processions are going on, or balloon parades:smile: Last time I was there traffic was not terrible but not pleasant. Might want to look into some of the outlying cities like Amedeo or Silang..much less hustle and bustle. And close to Manila if you need to go there. Still plenty of open fields so you get a good breeze. My advice is to take your time and look around for more than 1 day. Good luck!:cheers: 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm in Iloilo, about 30 minutes drive from the city.  It's a medium-sized city with several shopping malls and a good selection of restaurants and bars these days.  It's relatively safe and the government services are quite efficient.  It doesn't have the bright lights and nightclubs some may seek, but all-in-all it's perfectly liveable.  Another plus, it's still relatively inexpensive but prices are creeping up.  It doesn't have a very vibrant expat community though, for some that can be a problem.  

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bohol, specifically Dauis Panglao Island. Our house is in Dauis, 15 minutes or less from malls, hospitals and the nearest public beach. There is a new hospital which seems quite good and looks to be comparable to the best hospitals in Cebu. My neighborhood is relatively quiet and quite safe. It's 2 hours to Cebu on a fast ferryboat.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I suppose the question needs to be asked.... what kind of life do you envisage leading here ?

Quietly working away online on a laptop ?

Living with a girlfriend ?

Married with a family ? 

Chasing women and enjoying chatting to other expats in bars, or elsewhere ? 

I HAVE lived in Manila... many years ago, when the pollution was still bad, but traffic not as horrendous. It's a place I avoid now.  Stinky, noisy, potentially dangerous,  human ant hill. 

I live near Dagupan now, purely  because that is where my current wife and her family are from.

However, it does have a lot going for it.  A medium sized city, with plenty of malls (SM, Robinsons, etc) and other facilities, such as hospitals, and VERY USEFUL... its own Immigration branch.  We are also about 5 miles away from some beautiful, quiet beaches, enjoy excellent transport links, and despite us being in a quiet little place a few miles out of any town, we have Fiber internet to the house, and all other mains services close by.  We do own the land and house though.

• Like 2

Chazrob0914
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for the excellent replies.  I will check out the recommendations and may have more specific questions.  I agree its important to take my time and make an informed choice.  I envision a suburban life with my new wife to be, maybe a kid, time on the computer, exercise, good food and friends.  A quiet place but near to all services.  

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Barney
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2019 at 5:51 PM, Guy F. said:

Bohol, specifically Dauis Panglao Island. Our house is in Dauis, 15 minutes or less from malls, hospitals and the nearest public beach. There is a new hospital which seems quite good and looks to be comparable to the best hospitals in Cebu. My neighborhood is relatively quiet and quite safe. It's 2 hours to Cebu on a fast ferryboat.

Thinking of heading down to Bohol next month and looking around for somewhere to rent long term.

Do you have any suggestions for where to look? And a good place to stay for a week or so with good internet?

Edited by Barney