7 hours ago, Gary D said:

Is there a wrong side in the Philippines :89:

Seems like many use the lane divider as an aiming point. :mocking:

• Haha 1

Barney
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

A little 125 cc scooter is about all you'll need here. Fun to drive and cheap on gas.:biggrin:

Here in Angeles I have a Honda XR200, perfect for the crappy roads in Phils.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

A little 125 cc scooter is about all you'll need here. Fun to drive and cheap on gas.:biggrin:

By the way... any side of the road is the wrong side in the Philippines! IMHO.

Be careful on a bike and go slow. I crashed mine in the second month I after I arrived here. A guy on another bike swerved in a big arc to the left as if he was going to turn left. Then, without looking, of course, he turned sharply right to go down the crossroad - right in front of me - and I crashed into him, went down. Road rash, wrenched hip...could have been worse. Then instantly 20-30 people were out all just standing there watching... Only one guy came over to help me up.

Sure, I take some blame for "assuming" he was turning left and then passing to his right. And I learned my cardinal rule here now when driving car or bike - Always be aware of your surroundings and anyone you see whether walking or driving, assume that they will do the absolutely stupidist thing you can imagine and prepare for that mentally. Because they rarely disappoint.

Be safe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Barney
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

assume that they will do the absolutely stupidist thing you can imagine and prepare for that mentally. Because they rarely disappoint.

Be safe.

Exactly how I see it.... a few times people have signalled to turn right, then gone left.

Stationary trikes just suddenly shoot out into a u-turn with no warning and not even a look to see if anyone coming. A reason I tell the asawa never get in a trike, when on my bike I see how shit they are, and how infrequently they look what is going on around them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Barney said:

with no warning and not even a look to see if anyone coming.

Many will be surprised I am saying this but they have a code between themselves that does not Include Sane People, How often do we see 2 Trikes Collide?  Sober they can be the best Drivers on the Philippine Roads :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Barney said:

Here in Angeles I have a Honda XR200, perfect for the crappy roads in Phils.

I've looked at the XR150 (hadn't thought about the XR200) but I agree, the XR range (and the Yamaha XT range) are without a doubt better for the roads in rural areas and smaller cities than the typical small wheel scooter is.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Barney said:

Exactly how I see it.... a few times people have signalled to turn right, then gone left.

I think, more commonly, there is no signal at all. And people on bikes always seem shocked when they pull out onto the road without looking and somebody honks at them, whether it's me or another driver. I also had one bike passing me using the opposing lane in slow traffic. When traffic approached from that opposite direction (this was in daylight), he then edged suddenly to the right and actually some of my wheel nicked his foot pegs. Again, he looked shocked that there was someone on the road besides himself. I have seen a lot of aftermath of bike/car, bike/truck accidents. I feel sorry for the bikers getting hurt but, the way some of them fly throughout traffic and maneuver without looking causes me a bit less sympathy.

It seems to me that mostly, quiet (except karaoke) people, calm and slow here turn into maniacs on the road with little consideration of any one else - each for his own. Cars, bikes, jeepneys, trikes all seem to empower them in a strange way...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Barney said:

Sorry sir, the left turn signal was out of stock. :hystery:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Many will be surprised I am saying this but they have a code between themselves that does not Include Sane People, How often do we see 2 Trikes Collide?  Sober they can be the best Drivers on the Philippine Roads :hystery:

Sure Jack... maybe you have a point.... But then I have two questions... How many times have there been trike collisions we have not seen? And secondly, are they ever sober?:shooter:

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

By the way... maybe returning to the original plot of this topic... I visited Olangapo almost two years ago and was most impressed with the driving I saw there. slow traffic drove on the right, fast traffic on the left and everyone was using turn signals and driving safely - that I saw. Maybe they were there, but I don't remember seeing tricycles or jeepneys - only taxis.

No police were in evidence, no soldiers and very clean too. I really liked the area - but maybe some of you from that area can enlighten me if I did not observe reality? It seemed like a nice, calm place to settle, possibly?