Plant trees to graduate

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Interesting article.   The author states that 175 million trees being planted would result in 525 billion trees being planted in "a generation".  That sounded like a big, big, really big number so I did the math.  525,000,000,000 / 175,000,000 = 3000 on my calculator.  So someone either made a math error, or their definition of a "generation" is much different than mine (approx 30 years).  That being said, I think it is a good idea. :thumbsup:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/philippines-tree-planting-students-graduation-law-environment-a8932576.html

A new Filipino law requires all graduating high school and college students to plant at least 10 trees each before they can graduate.

The law formalises a tradition of planting trees upon graduation, which is also hoped to simultaneously combat global climate change.

The proponents of the law say the legislation could result in as many as 525 billion trees planted in a generation if it is properly adhered to.

The Philippines’ Magdalo Party representative Gary Alejano, who was the principal author of the legislation, said: "With over 12 million students graduating from elementary and nearly five million students graduating from high school and almost 500,000 graduating from college each year, this initiative, if properly implemented, will ensure that at least 175 million new trees would be planted each year.

“In the course of one generation, no less than 525 billion can be planted under this initiative,” Mr Alejano said in the bill's explanatory note.

“Even with a survival rate of only 10 per cent, this would mean an additional 525 million trees would be available for the youth to enjoy, when they assume the mantle of leadership in the future.”

The trees will apparently be planted in mangroves, existing forests, some protected areas, military ranges, abandoned mining sites and selected urban areas, according to CNN's Philippines news service.

The government said the species selected for planting must be appropriate to each location, climate and topography of the area and there will also be a preference for indigenous species.

In addition to the immediate carbon-absorbing impact of the trees, it is hoped the legislation will help bring environmental understanding to future generations and lead to further ecological initiatives.

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

Yes, someone misplaced the decimal point. :hystery:

The shocking thing about this story is that it implies that only 41% of elementary students graduate from high school (12M down to 5M)! :shock_40_anim_gif:

And then only 10% of the high school grads graduate from college. :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

graham59
Posted
Posted

Well, while Jollibee and other purveyors of obesity-fuelling shite continue to expand, there will be jobs for a few weeks for lucky few those graduates.  :rolleyes:

Me and the Mrs were required to do a bit of tree planting, before our wedding.  Total charade of course. 

Hopefully the Phils department of pipe dreams will have slightly more success with this scheme, and trees will be planted faster than they are being felled for export, firewood,  and squatter housing.  

• Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

And who will pay for the trees? some families struggle to pay for one kid's education and could not afford to buy ten saplings. Not very well thought out.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

And who will pay for the trees?

When Trisha ( my Daughter) went through this in her last year at Elementary, we paid. Then came a rather funny thing. The Imelda Marcos tree foundation started to supply the Saplings to schools and Barangays. it ran for some time, I am not sure if this is still happening, She Planted about 7 If I remember rightly Then another 5 in her first Year at High School (which they paid) for and had to hand in a Barangay certificate to the School :whatever:

**Just as a side the cost of the saplings is put under miscellaneous items we pay for which is on your receipt for the Year at some places so I guess we do pay in the Long run*** 

• Like 2