Russia Meddled with the Brexit and US Presidential Elections in 2016

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Some of you (or us) can have doubts, but Russia has actually interfered with the 2016 Brexit vote and the 2016 US Presidential race, and by all accounts, it has interfered with many other elections around the world. 

Whether or not you agree or disagree with the results of these elections is not my point at all!... so, in other words, this is not supposed to be a political debate.  I just want to discuss the interference of foreign governments in our elections taking place in our home countries.

No. 1 - BREXIT: “Russian trolls sent thousands of pro-Leave messages on day of Brexit referendum, Twitter data reveals”

“An army of Russian trolls sent thousands of messages with the hashtag #ReasonsToLeaveEU on the day of Britain's referendum on membership of the EU, according to new data released by Twitter.

On 23 June 2016, the day of the Brexit vote, Russia mobilised an army of trolls, which at one stage included 3,800 accounts. The fake accounts Tweeted out 1,102 posts with the hashtag #ReasonsToLeaveEU.

The Russian-linked accounts Tweeted out the phrase “Brexit” more than 4,400 times during its period of activity, although mostly after the referendum had taken place.

The data from Twitter showed Russian and Iranian internet trolls sent more than 10 million Tweets in an effort to spread disinformation and discord in the West, including a day-long blitz on the day of the Brexit vote.”

No. 2 - 2016 US Presidential Election:

“Who accuses Russia of interfering in the election?

The CIA, FBI, and National Security Agency jointly stated with “high confidence” that the Russian government conducted a sophisticated campaign to influence the recent election. President Vladimir Putin ordered the effort, the U.S. agencies said in a January 2017 report[PDF], with the dual aims of damaging Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and undermining the U.S. democratic process. “Putin and the Russian government developed a clear preference for President-elect President,” a declassified version of the report said. Russia denies these allegations.”

The real question is not whether or not it really happened, but how do we stop it from continuing?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/10/17/russian-iranian-twitter-trolls-sent-10-million-tweets-fake-news/

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/russia-President-and-2016-us-election

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

The real question is not whether or not it really happened, but how do we stop it from continuing?

To me, it is just a load of , Wait! Bollocks.jpg

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

To me, it is just a load of , Wait! Bollocks.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

spacer.png YEP Just stick to the US, keep your nose and Anti talk off the UK they have enough Idiots trying to sort it without any more jumping on the Bandwagon   :wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
because

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Just stick to the US

Okey Dokey :wait_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't know what we can do about it - the easily led will fall for it again and again.  Trolls set up crazy posts, and the gullible turn it into a movement.  Sad state of affairs...  The youth are giving me great hope for the future - if we can hang on until the dinosaurs die off. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

interfered with

IMO there is a difference between interfering with and influencing an election.

Being a Yank and with all the hullaballoo about our 2016 election, I have yet to met, talk to or even see in an online chat room, one single person admit that they voted for a particular candidate or issue because of a comment made online by an unknow  poster.  :89:

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

IMO there is a difference between interfering with and influencing an election.

True!... but no matter which one it is, it really did happen.  IMHO, the Russians created political discord and that may have been their true real goal.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

created discord

Yep, your right I am sure, there are trolls everywhere sowing discord.

Watch what will happen here on this board if I start a topic in favor of tipping at restaurants :hystery::hystery::hystery::whistling:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Illegals voting in American elections a far bigger problem than Russian Trolls flooding Twitter with Pro one candidate or another messages. 

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic