Advice on what I need to do

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Sorry JGF I digressed into explaining my own circumstances and follow up

Before leaving UK I registered my intention to marry in Philippines and the "Wedding Banns" were posted for 55 days before the date of our wedding at that time it was a requirement..( Perhaps for her intended entry to UK ? )

OK. Well not sure why but normally here its a 10 day wait period after applying for a marriage licence.

Anyway for the OP

https://filipiknow.net/how-to-get-married-in-the-philippines/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryan schroth
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont think thats a good idea.

Is the husband still around? He can cause you issues which could cost you money or even your life.

Why cost me my life.. he ex marine not scared already know he s coward

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

OK. Well not sure why but normally here its a 10 day wait period after applying for a marriage licence.

A lot will depend where you apply for the Affidavit ( previously the CNI) in the Uk the Banns have to be up at the Embassy (or Consulate for 21 Days) then if no one objects ( Which is what the Banns are for) they will issue then they are sent to the Manila Embassy and sit there for another 7 days. Things Change but this is what happened to me way back in 2008. Then it was as you say 10 days here before they would issue a license So all in all by Doing it in the UK mine was something like 38 days. Then again you may have to wait a long time for that damn Seminar. As with Many things here there is no One size fits all and each will  experience differences the so your YMMV :wink:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Ryan schroth said:

Filipino I assume? 

graham59
Posted
Posted

No posting of banns anywhere now (for Brits) . Your Affirmation/Affidavit declaration at the Manila embassy covers that.

You're given the signed and witnessed certificate by the embassy staff member within 30 minutes, and then (with all your other required certificates in hand) are good to go and apply for your marriage licence in the Phils.

Back in the 'old' days in the UK, for my first marriage to a Filipina, I believe the Banns had to be displayed in the UK Registrar's office for 21 days. ... no longer, before being issued with your CNI  (Cert of no impediment),  so I still don't know where this 55 days comes from.

I brought that one to the UK a week after we were wed.

Yes, the seminars have to be attended; one for the marriage itself, and another totally separate one for those (Filipinos) intending to leave the country with their wicked poriner partner. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

A lot will depend where you apply for the Affidavit ( previously the CNI) in the Uk the Banns have to be up at the Embassy (or Consulate for 21 Days) then if no one objects ( Which is what the Banns are for) they will issue then they are sent to the Manila Embassy and sit there for another 7 days. Things Change but this is what happened to me way back in 2008. Then it was as you say 10 days here before they would issue a license So all in all by Doing it in the UK mine was something like 38 days. Then again you may have to wait a long time for that damn Seminar. As with Many things here there is no One size fits all and each will  experience differences the so your YMMV :wink:

Yes but Im just saying that seems to be a UK thing. I'm sure there was no wait period when I applied for my certificate of no marriage but anyway the OP is in the US so might be different again. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Ryan schroth said:

Hi Ryan.  Welcome to the forum.  Good luck on the marriage side but as has been said "slow down.'  Would you seriously meet a  woman back home and after 2 1/2 weeks think of buying her a house?  Because that's what you will be doing as you can only own a condominium. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I agree with the others.  Slow down.  Do more homework.  Make decisions after you understand all the processes.  She may be a wonderful lady but you have some obstacles.

My wife's annulment took 4.5 years.  It almost was not granted even though her husband was abusive.  Abuse is not grounds for annulment.

When someone said you could be in danger, there are a few ways.  If you live with her before the annulment is final, you could be blackmailed.  If the husband is still emotionally attached, he can have you taken care of very cheaply.

These are extremes, but you need to learn about all this stuff.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Ryan, I haven’t approved your last post. It violates forum rules please review them?

No one here is ridiculing you or being disrespectful to you or the lady you love. Many Expatriates over the years have experienced or seen foreigners taken advantage of even murdered by close Filipino friends or wife. This is not to say it will happen to you, or that you’re lady friend is a bad person. 

You came to this group asking questions and support. Some answers may be blunt but please don’t take it personal the guys don’t want you to take unessasry risks.

The group wants you and your future wife to be happy and successful.

• Like 4

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Reading this thread makes me wonder how we got things done back in the olden days. I did a fiance visa for my wife in 1989 back when there wasn't loads of information on the internet, I just walked into an Immigration office in San Diego and asked for the paperwork, the instructions were on the forms, communication was mostly through snail mail because there were hardly any phones in the Philippines at that time. I don't remember it being too difficult on my end, more so on hers. The best part of the fiance visa is you have 6 months to decide if you really want to get married, unless things have changed since then.