Shipping a motorcycle

RDean62
Posted
Posted

I have heard it is expensive and a pain, but my searching of bikes to buy there does not give many choices ( 1200 CC and over )and they are also expensive

Any advice?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum! 👋🏻

Yes, if you want a big road bike there’s a Harley Davidson dealership in Manila.

Yes they are very expensive. The is no cheap legal way around importing a big scooter.

Have you visited Philippines before?

Edited by Old55

RDean62
Posted
Posted

Yes, many times.

i have a second home in Tacloban and as soon as I finish up a project I am working on I am going to retire there. I really want to bring my bike, but sure if it is worth it or not.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I’ll let other more experienced members with bikes reply. Good luck though.

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are Harley, Truimph, Indian, Ducati dealerships in the Manila area. More expensive than the US. Close to the same prices as in Canada tho. I have never shipped a motorcycle to the Ph. Read about how dificult and expensive if can be. I would be checking Ph government website and transport  companies for there input.

Edited by canadamale
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is a Harley dealership in Davao and an Indian dealer in Cagayan De Oro (prices are higher than Australian prices which in turn are higher than US prices). 

For example a Low Rider is about  780,000 peso in the USA and 900,000 peso in Australia but  list price is 1,309,000 peso in the Philippines (a big difference).

Pretty much what I paid for a Street Glide in Australia would only get me Low Rider in the Philippines and if you're from the US then the same money would only buy you a Street Bob.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

RDean62
Posted
Posted

I looked at the prices before. I think I would come out about the same if I shipped as I would if I bought a used bike about 4-5k.

i just was hoping to find some folks who might have done this before. Maybe give me an idea on what is the true tax that the government charges.

i have an older bike 2002 Honda VT 1100 Shadow Sabre. It only Blue Books for $2000 US. It’s just been my bike for many years and I hate to let it go.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, RDean62 said:

Maybe give me an idea on what is the true tax that the government charges.

Just found this online, gives you an idea

Is the imported vehicle subject to taxes and duties?

Yes. Whether brand-new or used, purchased or donated, the imported vehicle is subject to 40% Customs duty, 10% VAT and Ad Valorem Tax from 15% to 100% depending on its piston displacement. Its book value serves as the tax base and not the purchase price nor the acquisition cost. The book value is sourced from universally accepted motor vehicle reference books such as the Red Book, Blue Book, World Book depending on the origin of the imported vehicle.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I'm thinking that you're not allowed to import a vehicle to the philippines on a tourist visa (getting married would get you a 13A eventually but it would take a while), it looks like even SRRV visa holders aren't covered.

Pursuant to Sec.3 of E.O.156 and Sec.1,Part II of the  Implementing Guidelines thereof, the following individuals are allowed to import used motor vehicle under the No-Dollar Import Program:

1. Returning Resident- a Filipino citizen who has stayed in a foreign country for at least one (1) year and which residency shall be accumulated within the three (3) year period immediately preceding the date of filing of the application.
  2. Immigrant-a person issued any of the following types of visa under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940,as amended:
    1. A Filipino citizen and a holder of 13G Visa under Sec.13, Sub g(13g);
    2. A foreign national married to a Filipino and a holder of 13A Visa under Sec.13,Sub a (13a); or
    3. A Filipino citizen and holder of 47A and 47A2 issued to awardees of Special Government Project/s (SPG).e.g. Philippine Retirement Authority and Balik-Scientist Program.
  • Like 1

RDean62
Posted
Posted

I am still a few years out from moving. I have to finish up a project here. I have been married to a Filipino for several years and if push comes to shove I can sign the title over to her.

• Like 1