First Steps

Charles Cifuni
Posted
Posted

Just found this site and registered.  Recently returned from Manila visiting soon-to-be fiancé.  She is Filipino national, I'm American citizen.  Contacted US State Dept.: little help.  Contacted Philippines embassy by email & phone: no replies.  What's my first step when considering moving & living in Philippines?  Have questions about visa, dual citizenship, renting apartment, etc. etc. and possible costs and time involved with all.  Any additional info will be happily received.  Feel free to reply here or I can provide my email address.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

You can stay up to 30 days after arrival then extend after that at BI for a fee periodically on a tourist visa.  That is probably easiest then look around for the area you want to live.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Forum.  All of your answers can be found on this Forum by using the search feature.

For example, do this if you're searching for visa info:

visa.JPG

When you click on the magnifying glass, you get a link:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/search/?q=visa

You can do this for each and every query... there's plenty of great answers already available when you do a query for each topic/question.

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Trust me, Philippines is not for everyone

Truer words have probably never been spoken before. 

There's even many locals who would prefer to leave the Phils if they were given a proper chance.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Charles Cifuni said:

Just found this site and registered.

Welcome Charles, lots of good info here with friendly members (mostly :hystery:) to give you a hand. You are in for a wild ride moving to the Philippines and you have lots of homework to do. Here is a little to get you started.

Have questions about visa,

Until you get married or are obscenely rich, you are basically limited to a tourist visa which can be renewed for up to two years I believe, more detailed info is on the site in other topics.  

dual citizenship

for you? As an American, forget it. you will lose all US benefits. Plus getting Philippine citizenship is a very long and drawn out process. 10 year residency being one of them

renting apartment, etc. etc. and possible costs and time involved with all.

All these will depend on where you settle and your income. You would need to start a specific topic to get anything more than just general unhelpful answers. The more info provided the better the answer.

in the mean time there are topics on the board that cover just about everything you might need to know.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Charles Cifuni said:

Just found this site and registered. 

Welcome.jpg Look, Listen and Learn Charles,  Enjoy  :smile: 

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Truer words have probably never been spoken before. 

There's even many locals who would prefer to leave the Phils if they were given a proper chance.

So true!:laugh: