The Philippines: You can check out but you can never leave

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Hmm.. In my wife's family men share in the day to day cooking chores.

That wasn’t always the case in my family when I was growing up.  I guess that the culture has changed around the world, since I also help out (just like so many other men do) with the laundry and housecleaning.  

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Old55 said:

I also enjoy Baliwag's Liempo.

I love it also. My GF wanted to copy it so she put the meat in a pressure cooker first and then BBQ'd it. Hands down my GF's Liempo is the best. And I'm not just saying that because she's reading this while I type!:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2019 at 1:26 PM, Jake said:

Hello Mark, I always say -- when in Rome, do as the Filipinos do.....he, he.

By the way, are you a veteran?  If so, we need to trade some sea stories.  Respectfully Jake USN retired.

BMC USN Ret. 21 years, 9 months. First trip to Subic 1971.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

That wasn’t always the case in my family when I was growing up.

Same for me. My mother and father had very traditional roles in the family. For me, i was a bachelor for a long time so I am used to doing things for myself.

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jake said:

I discovered later from Judy that it was the talk of the compound (tsismis spreads like wildfire).  If you use that small and very low profile wooden stool to do your laundry, make sure that your "bayag" is not hanging out for all the world to see.    

Jake, fortunately for me, I only had to had hang up the clothes to dry in the Phils, so my "bayag" was never "hanging out for all the world to see."  My wife was the one who sat on the "small and very low profile wooden stool."  :tiphat:

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It's great that us guys can help out with cooking!  I wonder if your wife is as shocked as mine about how well men can do with cooking meals at home :smile:

I cook 90% of the time, including Filipino dishes. My partner likes my cooking and appreciates that I do. For me it is a hobby that I thoroughly enjoy, including sourcing the ingredients.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, virginprune said:

sourcing the ingredients

I enjoy that part as well... but the prices at the Markets in the Phils were always much higher for me (for some unknown reason :89:) than what the locals were charged, so I left the sourcing up to my wife. 

Now that we're both in the States, we do the sourcing together and we both love it!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2019 at 8:23 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

It's great that us guys can help out with cooking!  I wonder if your wife is as shocked as mine about how well men can do with cooking meals at home :smile:

I love cooking (used to cook professionally).  I make some cooking vids, because I like to make them - they get almost no views ha ha.  Most guys don't want to watch that.

My chili recipe took some work to get it right (well, close) with local ingredients.  I still have to get my masa harina shipped in BB boxes. I have to adjust my recipes, and I have to adjust her recipes.  Mine for ingredient availability, hers get slightly Americanized. 

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I love cooking (used to cook professionally)

I always loved to cook as well, and my wife owned an eatery back in the Phils.  So, together we have managed to make better tasting meals at home for a much lower cost than the stuff that you can get at high prices in restaurants. 

I'm sure that you are having the same results--bettter tasting food at a lower cost than eating out.  :smile:

• Like 1