The Philippines: You can check out but you can never leave

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think american english is known as such to to distinguish the different spelling. Colour/color, the use of s and z etc. Prehaps we should call is microsoft english.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Prehaps we should call is microsoft english.

eye noad wat ewe meen Gary........(Pssssh been at the Tanduay again )

Sorry mate forgive me.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Haha 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Back on topic...

My wife really misses Baliwag Liempo and when we went looking for the proper pork to use, we were completely dazed and confused at the Supermarket (HEB, for those who know of it).  The person stocking the meats couldn't help but notice our confusion, and he came over to assist us.

He said:  "Hi folks, what are you looking for?" 

I said:  "I need the type of pork to cook what is known as Liempo in the Philippines."

He said:  "like the type of pork that some people put into Lumpia and other Filipino foods?"

I said: "Yes!"

He showed me "Pork Bellies."

Here's the result:

IMG-4520.JPG

• Like 2

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted

This is how I feel about Thailand.  After spending so long there and having serious relationships with multiple Thai women, sometimes I think Thailand is all I can think about.  I have been back in America for two weeks and everything I talk about with my friends here is Thailand this, Thailand that, well in Thailand this.  And the funny thing of it is, I will NEVER go back there!!! Not for any reason whatsoever!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, SenorJorge said:

I will NEVER go back there!!! Not for any reason whatsoever!!!

I was saying the very same thing back in January of this year when I first came back to the USA.

However, lately I've changed my mind, since I'm planning a very short trip back to the Philippines to get my  kids.  I didn't have enough money, plus there were other reasons why I couldn't bring them with me back in January.

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted

I discovered my marriage was fraudulent.  The woman was desperate to get whatever she could get from me.  This girl emptied my bank account.  I didn't even tell her that I wouldn't be back and she sold my engagement ring.  I've talked to a few attorneys and they've all told me that I can try to negotiate with her if I want, but her family is sure to ask for more money.  She's taken thousands from me already this year, so she can forget that.   When I tried to leave in the past she was very manipulative and she honestly scares me.  I don't know what she's capable of - she's been a freelancer in Pattaya for over 10 years.  A few friends have suggested that I lock my credit and wait for her to divorce me in my absence after I've left for a year and I think this is my best course of action.  Regardless, Thai judges are certainly going to side with her.  Thailand doesn't seem to like us Americans much anymore, not since the military government.  Because of this and the general negative experience I've had in Thailand since 2005, I've really left for good this time.  It appears that the Phils has everything I need and more.  Time for a new start somewhere else.  When my health improves, I am really going to go there with a very clean and open attitude, ready to embrace my new life.  I will also go to India for awhile.  I am not sure where I will spend more time, India or the Phils.  But one thing is fore sure, Thailand is over.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

But one thing is fore sure, Thailand is over.

I completely understand.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think american english is known as such to to distinguish the different spelling. Colour/color, the use of s and z etc. Prehaps we should call is microsoft english.

Exactly - hence my dislike of the phrase "speaking American English" - it's little to do with speaking

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Thanks for your explanation .

I currently live in Texas, and maybe it's just me and where I live (San Antonio), but I don't hear any "drawl" from anyone over here.  For what it's worth, I was born in the Northern US, and I have lived in many US States (as well as other countries), but I haven't heard a drawl in Texas in recent years.  However, I do remember hearing it in the Texas of the 1970's (when I traveled through Texas as a visitor).

I still hear it whenever I watch the numerous home renovation shows etc etc that I watch.

I'm surprised that you would say the UK has some difficult regional accents but the US doesn't! :whistling: 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I discovered my marriage was fraudulent.  The woman was desperate to get whatever she could get from me.  This girl emptied my bank account.  I didn't even tell her that I wouldn't be back and she sold my engagement ring.  I've talked to a few attorneys and they've all told me that I can try to negotiate with her if I want, but her family is sure to ask for more money.  She's taken thousands from me already this year, so she can forget that.   When I tried to leave in the past she was very manipulative and she honestly scares me.  I don't know what she's capable of - she's been a freelancer in Pattaya for over 10 years.  A few friends have suggested that I lock my credit and wait for her to divorce me in my absence after I've left for a year and I think this is my best course of action.  Regardless, Thai judges are certainly going to side with her.  Thailand doesn't seem to like us Americans much anymore, not since the military government.  Because of this and the general negative experience I've had in Thailand since 2005, I've really left for good this time.  It appears that the Phils has everything I need and more.  Time for a new start somewhere else.  When my health improves, I am really going to go there with a very clean and open attitude, ready to embrace my new life.  I will also go to India for awhile.  I am not sure where I will spend more time, India or the Phils.  But one thing is fore sure, Thailand is over.

I'm not speaking from extensive personal experience, but I'd imagine bar girls are bar girls are bar girls regardless of their nationality.  Out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind.  But, it seems you know what you are getting so enjoy. 

• Like 1