NHS U-turn (Thank Goodness)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This whole bruha seemed to come about with the question about NHS and his subsequent answer that "NHS or everything"  is on the table.  I honestly think that President was not aware at the time of his answer that NHS was the acronym for National Health Service.  He habitual answer to trade has always been "everything is on the table".  Now he has to try and find a way to back away from that statement without admitting he did not realize what NHS stands for.  Just my opinion of course, but nothing else makes any sense!  Why would any country want to become involved in the health care for the citizens of another country? :89:  Why would any country outsource healthcare to another country where health care costs are already the highest in the world? :89:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2019 at 4:15 PM, stevewool said:

We shall see.

Said the blind man to his deaf wife over the telephone!:chickendance:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Mike J said:

but nothing else makes any sense!  Why would any country want to become involved in the health care for the citizens of another country? :89:

20 hours ago, Mike J said:

Why would any country outsource healthcare to another country where health care costs are already the highest in the world? :89:

Hi Mike,

Health Care both in and out of hospital's, is big business in the Western World, especially in Private Care + Medicine supply.

I believe the NHS already spends £17.4 Billion per year on drugs, a large proportion of which comes from American owned Companies

The fear with people in the UK at the moment is, any  new contracts/deals with the US Private Sector, therefore could lead to the Public owned ( Government ) Health Care System, being taken over completely.

As history has shown, most Industries placed in Private Hands, generally become more efficient due to modernisation and technology, but that tends to result in higher costs to the customers/users and job losses to those employed in that Industry.

The NHS is at breakpoint now, with staffing problems due to stress from cutbacks!

( Robot's are not the answer, although we are getting there.)

I might be wrong on this, but I think the NHS is the biggest Employer in the UK.    :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
delayed word correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I currently work on a contract to maintain several buildings for the NHs , the front line staff , nurses and doctors dona great job , but the NHS is a dinosaur that needs a major overhaul 

There us far too much middle management,  too much money gets waisted , the buildings vary from modern to dilapidated , corruption exists 

It is being ripped off on a regular basis by foreign nationals , using it as a world wide free health service ,the stories on this are endless

I'd start by making sure all foreign nationals paid a health insurance , then thin out the managers , the savings could be used to modernise the buildings 

As far as privatisation goes , there are parts if the NHS being handed out to private companies such as our own contract , I am covering an area that before I started , had 5 electricians doing the work , I in effect now do the same job as 5 NHS electricians , the standard of their work was appalling 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

It is being ripped off on a regular basis by foreign nationals , using it as a world wide free health service

and in the meantime, returning expat's can't avail of free NHS whom have paid all their working lives. I don't know if expat's must wait so many month's/years to have NHS treatment? Once back in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

and in the meantime, returning expat's can't avail of free NHS whom have paid all their working lives. I don't know if expat's must wait so many month's/years to have NHS treatment? Once back in the UK.

I dont see how they can enforce thst jim , i have not been to a GP for a long tine ,last visit was for shots for the Philippines, before that 5 years ago for a back problem , how do they know where ive been in the 4 year gap ?

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Just as an example of waisted wasted money in the NHS ,this morning i started at 7am so that i coukd fix some electrical problems ,fault finding can drive a guy nuts ,anyhow i have hslf the ceiling down and im zeroing in on the problem, the phone rings and ive got a P1 emergency to attend ,tje xray machine at the dentist clinic has a power failire 

So i put everything back together ,our HSE laws prevent me from leaving suff half done 

I leaps in my van ( with my red cape on of course )  i drive quickly up the M1 to Northampton and arrive at the clinic 

The afire mention xray machine is now at my mercy ,  i checked the breakers , i check thr control box , its got power ,so why is it not working ,then i spotted the problem , a big bugger of a green button with the lettering on and off ( this was on the machine ) so i flicked the switch on , tara super mac solves another one 

FFS i expect a dentist to be able to switch on a machine lol:Caught:

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I dont see how they can enforce thst jim , i have not been to a GP for a long tine ,last visit was for shots for the Philippines, before that 5 years ago for a back problem , how do they know where ive been in the 4 year gap ?

You have to prove that you are returning permanently, there's ways around that. They won't turn you away from A and E. So if you have a dodgy knee or whatever turn up at A and E.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

I have asked this question before, but no-one seems to know what they qualifying period is to be able to avail of free NHS treatment upon return - I suspect this is because the rule is not enforced/enforceable in practical terms.  I'm pretty sure they never ask the question when you appear at A&E for treatment - why would they? 

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1