NHS U-turn (Thank Goodness)

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kuya John said:

British expats from outside Europe must pay for NHS hospital care - Telegraph

I know that already John, but like what hk blues said... How can they enforce it? Especially if you turn up at A&E. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jimeve said:

How can they enforce it? Especially if you turn up at A&E. 

They will administer Emergency care as per Law But if admitted into Hospital it will be Charged for. I believe now that to get Health care as we would know it You will need 6 months residence ( ie, an Address that can be proved in the UK) and proof of Community charge payments within those 6 months.

This is as I understand it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

( ie, an Address that can be proved in the UK) and proof of Community charge payments within those 6 months.

Jack as far as I know is correct, however like you say Jim, how would they know if you turn up at A&E?

You are more likely to be questioned at point of entry to UK, as to why you are returning after a long period of time.

Edited by Kuya John
the usual spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

If you still retain a UK address , I.e, I'll use one of my kids addresses, I cant see how they can charge you .

I've paid my stamp for 46 years ,they can take their charges out of that 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I will have my own address here in England where ever we will be in the future, the council tax for the house and all other bills goes out of my account , so I live here , sort of , but who knows what may happen in the future , we brits seems to be a dying breed in our own country.

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 7/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, jimeve said:

You have to prove that you are returning permanently, there's ways around that. They won't turn you away from A and E. So if you have a dodgy knee or whatever turn up at A and E.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:11 PM, hk blues said:

I have asked this question before, but no-one seems to know what they qualifying period is to be able to avail of free NHS treatment upon return - I suspect this is because the rule is not enforced/enforceable in practical terms.  I'm pretty sure they never ask the question when you appear at A&E for treatment - why would they? 

I've just read in the independent that an English born lady who has been living abroad for 20 years , was issued a bill for £6000.00 just before her operation 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I've just read in the independent that an English born lady who has been living abroad for 20 years , was issued a bill for £6000.00 just before her operation 

Without knowing the facts, it may be that she has not contributed anything (or much) through NI in the past so is effectively treated as a foreigner.  Let's be honest, most of us complain that we have paid contributions for many years so expect free treatment so the opposite should also apply IMO.  Again, we don't know the facts in this lady's case.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, bastonjock said:

If you still retain a UK address , I.e, I'll use one of my kids addresses, I cant see how they can charge you .

I've paid my stamp for 46 years ,they can take their charges out of that 

As per Jack's post, that may not work as you would need to provide evidence of paying council tax - unless you are like me and father and son share the same name.

As for your 2nd point - they won't.   

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

As per Jack's post, that may not work as you would need to provide evidence of paying council tax - unless you are like me and father and son share the same name.

As for your 2nd point - they won't.   

I think that as long as you have an address and are registered with a GP , you should be okay

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bastonjock said:

I think that as long as you have an address and are registered with a GP , you should be okay

Getting registered with a GP whilst here is the  tricky thing, I was here for 8 months some years ago and was struck off the Register as the NHS had a purge on checking Locality and of course I was not there to sign the Form. Baston things are not easy