WWII veterans reflect on 75th D-Day anniversary

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

World War II veterans are making an emotional return to the shores of Normandy for the 75th anniversary of D-Day. The organization Forever Young Senior Veterans is bringing 14 men back. Among them is 99-year-old Sherwin Callander, one of the first men to arrive at Utah Beach and help take troops to shore, George Mills, who got to Normandy more than 20 days after D-Day and 96-year-old Stanley Friday, who landed at Utah Beach in August and fought throughout Europe as an army scout. "CBS This Morning" co-host Anthony Mason spoke with them about their experiences and what they hope people remember.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yes I have been watching on tv today , Amazing brave people and just a few left who was there and can tell the story.

I have managed to walk on the beaches that these men fought on and I am trying to plan another journey with my brothers to visit them again this year .

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

I have managed to walk on the beaches that these men fought on and I am trying to plan another journey with my brothers to visit them again this year .

Hopefully, I'll make that journey as well.  It always amazes me to see such old WWII vets.  I can't even begin to imagine how much PTSD they must have suffered, even though they called it by other names back then.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks for posting this video, very moving.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I can't even begin to imagine how much PTSD they must have suffered, even though they called it by other names back then.

I can vaguely remember men walking round in their old service coats in the early 50's.

As a child not realising what they might of been through. My Father being in the RAF.

Peace comes at a heavy price, and so many paid it......Lest we forget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

My dad was a d day vet

His words to me where , i got on the ship at sheer ness and then we picked up the soldiers at the isle of dogs,  we went out on the 4th of june and at midnight the captain read out the ships orders informing us that the landings were on , one hour later we were stood down and returned to port , the docks were crawling with mp,s all has thompson sub machine guns , anyone trying to leave the ship will be shot 

The following day we returned to the channel and the invasion began , it wasnt as bad as either dieppe or salerno dad said , we dropped the soldiers off and picked up some paratroopers and wounded before returning to england 

I have a photograph of my dad in his navy fatiques ,sportjng a colt 45 , its dated june 1945 

I asked jokingly, was that to shoot Hitler, no he said, it was to maintain discipline amongst the soldiers ,shoot them if nessesary 

• Like 2