anyone use norton security for antivirus??

Rayj
Posted
Posted (edited)

It’s been a topic here about using a VPN originating in USA to de-regionalize Netflix. Maybe that would work here too. Unfortunately,  I guess you would have had to already installed the VPN in the USA which is now after the fact.  Send your laptop back home and let someone do it for you. Until then you have the free anti viruses.

Edited by Rayj

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Rayj said:

It’s been a topic here about using a VPN originating in USA to de-regionalize Netflix. Maybe that would work here too. Unfortunately,  I guess you would have had to already installed the VPN in the USA which is now after the fact.  

I purchased and installed Nord VPN online when I was in the Philippines and it worked fine for me.  

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, dj3642 said:

i decided to do a full reset on my laptop as i had a lot of crap on it and wanted a fresh start..  so i wiped it clean and reinstalled norton.. and when it came time to activate it again. it said unable to active for this region. meaning.. i bought it in the US and since i am now in the philippines that come no longer works. i stil had a license for 5 addition devices..  so i am screwed

How about you instal ccleaner to get rid of crap. As far as I know if you buy a new version of any anti virus online you will be fine otherwise it wont sell to you. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have not used McAfee or Nortons in at least 10 years.  Kaspersky and ESET Nod are the best, according to my tech friends.

Kapersky is good and arguably better than McAfee's and Nortons but I already had a discount code for McAfee and Kapersky (which I've used before) would have been significantly more expensive (it's not always bad to be kuripot lol).

dj3642
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I purchased and installed Nord VPN online when I was in the Philippines and it worked fine for me.  

so this vpn de regionalized you??? meaning i might be able to do it and reactivate this thing??

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, dj3642 said:

so this vpn de regionalized you??? meaning i might be able to do it and reactivate this thing??

Yes, it did and I was able to watch Netflix content from the US by connecting to what they call their 'Obfuscated' Servers in the US.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, dj3642 said:

That is one of the reasons why I use a VPN, registration software is something I always use with my VPN activated and the endpoint server chosen as Australia.

Technically it doesn't deregionalize you, it just sends your 'encrypted internet data' out of the VPNs private network at a server of your choice (which you choose) which then gives you an internet address corresponding to that internet server's range of addresses.  So a Melbourne server will give you a Melbourne internet IP address and a Chicago server will give you a Chicago IP address.

There are multiple VPN companies, some common ones are Express VPN (which is the main VPN I use), PIA (which I've used in the past), Surfshark (which is my backup VPN), Nord VPN, vpn.ac and many others.

Prices range from about $2US a month up to about $10US a month and you will get a much better deal if you pay 12 months, 2 years or more in advance.

Some companies offer free trials of 7 days, 14 days and some offer a money back guarantee,

NB there are free VPNs which rely on advertising but I've never found one that is reliable.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

That is one of the reasons why I use a VPN, registration software is something I always use with my VPN activated and the endpoint server chosen as Australia.

Technically it doesn't deregionalize you, it just sends your 'encrypted internet data' out of the VPNs private network at a server of your choice (which you choose) which then gives you an internet address corresponding to that internet server's range of addresses.  So a Melbourne server will give you a Melbourne internet IP address and a Chicago server will give you a Chicago IP address.

There are multiple VPN companies, some common ones are Express VPN (which is the main VPN I use), PIA (which I've used in the past), Surfshark (which is my backup VPN), Nord VPN, vpn.ac and many others.

Prices range from about $2US a month up to about $10US a month and you will get a much better deal if you pay 12 months, 2 years or more in advance.

Some companies offer free trials of 7 days, 14 days and some offer a money back guarantee,

NB there are free VPNs which rely on advertising but I've never found one that is reliable.

ExpressVPN gives you 30 days free/trial. I would try that then once Norton installed, turn off VPNand see if still works. I've been using Norton from the US for the last 5 years here, no problems.

• Like 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

You can get it at Lazada.com.ph in the Philippines.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I wonder if the software is region specific to ensure it works on the viruses which are active in a particular area/region.  So. if you use a VPN won't it have the AV software protect against the "wrong" viruses?

Just a though.