Notarized document

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 6/6/2019 at 8:52 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Where can I find someone who can notarize a document in Cebu city?

Depends on the document and who is requesting it. If it's for the Phills a Filipino lawyer can do it. If it's for your home country, go to your embassy.:smile: 

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Depends on the document and who is requesting it. If it's for the Phills a Filipino lawyer can do it. If it's for your home country, go to your embassy.:smile: 

We have already established that I have had my ID notarized from a Filipino Atty and I have already said that it is acceptable from the people requiring proof of ID. Problem solved and resolved.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I have had several documents from the UK notarised here without an issue - I have never had a problem.  At the end of the day, the notary is only verifying the validity of the signature.  I live in iloilo, I'm hardly going to make a trip to Manila to visit the British Embassy to get a document notarised!    :smile:

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I have had several documents from the UK notarised here without an issue - I have never had a problem.  At the end of the day, the notary is only verifying the validity of the signature.  I live in iloilo, I'm hardly going to make a trip to Manila to visit the British Embassy to get a document notarised!    :smile:

You should be fine for anything local. However, if UK or HK is like USA, any notarizations may not be accepted or recognized in those countries, regardless the source of the original documents. I ran into that when selling my yacht - caused me all sorts of hassles and I ended up having to visit the embassy in Manila - a $300+ trip (airfare plus hotel, taxi, meals) plus the added insult of $50 for the US notary blessing. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Consider yourself lucky. Fake signatures and fake notary stamps can be bought here cheaply.:89:

3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You should be fine for anything local. However, if UK or HK is like USA, any notarizations may not be accepted or recognized in those countries, regardless the source of the original documents. I ran into that when selling my yacht - caused me all sorts of hassles and I ended up having to visit the embassy in Manila - a $300+ trip (airfare plus hotel, taxi, meals) plus the added insult of $50 for the US notary blessing. 

But at least you have the comfort of knowing it's legal,right?:thumbsup:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, Tommy T. said:

Again guys, don't assume everything works the way it does in the USA or how it worked for you in a specific circumstance.  As I said, I have had a couple of things notarised here for the UK with no issue.  

I guess I'm just lucky, eh!

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Consider yourself lucky. Fake signatures and fake notary stamps can be bought here cheaply.:89:

But at least you have the comfort of knowing it's legal,right?:thumbsup:

I'm surprised that you guys are so surprised at the situation I describe  - when a document is required to be notarised a list of acceptable signatories is provided by the requester (In the UK at least)  - as long as your "notary" is on that list they'll be accepted.  I have had to have things done in both Hong Kong and here for the UK over the years with no issue whatsoever.  

I have no worries about the legality of my signed documents - I go to a law office to get my stuff done.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Again guys, don't assume everything works the way it does in the USA or how it worked for you in a specific circumstance.  As I said, I have had a couple of things notarised here for the UK with no issue.  

Hi hk... Not assuming anything here, just adding some cautions based on my one bad experience and one hassle. When applying for my SRRV, the PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) would not accept local notarization for "foreign" documents that I obtained online from USA. So I guess it's not as simple here or in USA as in UK? Or maybe it is just a per occurrence circumstance that I had problems with? 

I am glad you have not had the problems I did.:smile: And I, too, use a lawyer here for notary services and, of course, no problems here, mostly.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi hk... Not assuming anything here, just adding some cautions based on my one bad experience and one hassle. When applying for my SRRV, the PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) would not accept local notarization for "foreign" documents that I obtained online from USA. So I guess it's not as simple here or in USA as in UK? Or maybe it is just a per occurrence circumstance that I had problems with? 

I am glad you have not had the problems I did.:smile: And I, too, use a lawyer here for notary services and, of course, no problems here, mostly.

Hi Tom - we were discussing getting things FOR the UK/US notarised here, not things for here.  As you know, this is the Philippines and things work in their own unique way!  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'm surprised that you guys are so surprised at the situation I describe  - when a document is required to be notarised a list of acceptable signatories is provided by the requester (In the UK at least)  - as long as your "notary" is on that list they'll be accepted.  I have had to have things done in both Hong Kong and here for the UK over the years with no issue whatsoever.  

I have no worries about the legality of my signed documents - I go to a law office to get my stuff done.  :thumbsup:

Never heard of a list of acceptable Notary places. Maybe next time I need a notary I'll request one.:thumbsup:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic