Posted
Posted

It's great to see this!  Thanks!

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Yes Steve

It is well to remember that day 6th June 1944, when so many gave their lives for our tomorrow.

Britain should remain grateful to all our Allies who fought so bravely for the freedom we have today.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• 5 weeks later...
bastonjock
Posted
Posted

My dad was there , it was only later on in his life that he started to talk about his experiences 

He was Royal Navy , he was on attachment to commando units for most of the war 

His words on D Day 

I met my ship on the Thames , we went to sheer ness to pick up the soldiers , we sailed out into the channel , at midnight the captain read out the ships orders ,we were heading to assault the beaches in Normandy,  it was the 3RD of June,  about an hour later we were stood down because of bad weather , upon our return to the docks we were told "anyone leaving the ship will be shot " the entire quay side was lined with MP,s all armed with Thompsons 

On the 5th we left and crossed over to Normandy , our ship had bits welded to the front so that the soldiers could disembark , we picked up a load of paratroopers and returned to the Thames 

I enquired as to how bad it was , dad said , I know that the yanks had a bad time on one beach , but compared to dieppe and salerno,  DDay was a walk in the park , mind you I did not have to go charging up the beach on that one 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My Father was in Burma and he would never ever talk about it ! We lost many men in the war and when you look around  in the UK and Europe i ask and for what !

And yes just 3 words really say it 

LEST WE FORGET !

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

My Dad was in the war too. He never spoke about it except to tell how much he hated camping and described the jeep accident he was in - behind enemy lines - on Christmas Eve. during the Battle of the Bulge... I was always proud of him.

Thanks all and your fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters who served and persevered through that era.

• Love it 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

My Father was in Burma and he would never ever talk about it ! We lost many men in the war and when you look around  in the UK and Europe i ask and for what !

And yes just 3 words really say it 

LEST WE FORGET !

My uncle escaped from the Japanese and made it back to Burma  , about 18 months later a friend of his spotted his picture in time magazine helping the wounded ( he was a medic )  , his friend told my grandfather, they did not know if he was dead or alive for about 2 years ,the war office confirmed that it was him

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

My Dad was in the war too. He never spoke about it except to tell how much he hated camping and described the jeep accident he was in - behind enemy lines - on Christmas Eve. during the Battle of the Bulge... I was always proud of him.

Thanks all and your fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters who served and persevered through that 

I have toured the battle of the bulge area extensivly , when you look at a sherman tank and compare it to a tiger   FFS talk about being mismatched

I stopped my motorcycle when i saw an American flag ,there were the names of 90 us soldiers on it who had been executed by the SS 

The battle field today is centered at a town calked Bastoyne  thats were the American paratroops dug in 

• Like 1