Pensions and currency exchange rates

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Impressive details thanks for sharing this Don.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Here's a forecast on what the Peso could do. 

https://longforecast.com/usd-to-php-today-forecast

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I must admit... I've been used to getting around 40 peso to the AU$... with it getting down to around 35 peso it's starting to bite.

I don't think the recent central bank interest cut and the talk of 'is Australia heading for a recession' will help rates either.

• Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

Here's a forecast on what the Peso could do. 

https://longforecast.com/usd-to-php-today-forecast

I hope that is right but if I knew for sure I would be buying futures contracts!

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I hope that is right but if I knew for sure I would be buying futures contracts!

I've been through the highs and lows since 2002 when I retired here. If memory serves the peso was as low as 57 to the dollar to as high as 39. I've always adjusted my lifestyle to whatever the rate is. It's just something that you have to do. :6:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

was as low as 57 to the dollar Scratching Head.jpg Visa versa I guess you mean

9 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

to as high as 39.

:wink:

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Very low pre 1980s Just had a look at GBP and the US$. 20 pesos and less, 1960s was low as 10 pesos to the GBP. Philippines must have had high inflation in those days.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Very low pre 1980s Just had a look at GBP and the US$. 20 pesos and less, 1960s was low as 10 pesos to the GBP. Philippines must have had high inflation in those days.

It is all relative to the cost of goods at the time.  I just looked at 1995, the first year I visited PH, and you got around 25 pesos for a dollar, less than half of what it is now.  Yet everything here seemed dirt cheap at the time, compared to the U.S.  I remember calculating that a San Mig cost me about 13 cents USD on that trip, I think.  Does that sound right?

And I see that 1995 was around a bottom for the dollar peso rate.  It went up from there until the 2007/2008 financial crisis.

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It is all relative to the cost of goods at the time.  I just looked at 1995, the first year I visited PH, and you got around 25 pesos for a dollar, less than half of what it is now.  Yet everything here seemed dirt cheap at the time, compared to the U.S.  I remember calculating that a San Mig cost me about 13 cents USD on that trip, I think.  Does that sound right?

And I see that 1995 was around a bottom for the dollar peso rate.  It went up from there until the 2007/2008 financial crisis.

When I was stationed at Clark 77-80 it was 7 plus pesos for the dollar during that time period.